cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam Utility on Mac Mojave

djvalentine732
Apprentice

I had the webcam utility running fine with OBS on my Mac. I installed the regular EOS Utility and after that I can't connect my camera to any apps. It works fine on my other older mac, but since the EOS utility was installed and uninstalled, whenever i try connecting my cam my CPU usage goes through the roof and the webcam utility doesn't see it. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything and I have had no luck, any help is greatly appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Dear djvalentine732,

Thanks for checking in with us.

Our EOS Webcam Utility won't work if EOS Utility is running, even if it is running in the background. Close out of the program, and then check to make sure that you don't have a camera icon on the top right of your computer screen. If you do, right click and exit out of it.

Make sure that your camera is set to shoot movies, and then connect by USB. It might also help to disconnect other accessories and try different USB ports. Some USB ports can be stronger than others.

Please let us know if problems persist or if you have any other questions.

So I actually completely restored my computer from scratch with a new install of Mojave. All I have on my laptop is OBS and the webcam utility and still having same issue. The EOS utility is not installed at all, just the webcam utility. When I use a different laptop it works fine but it's not a good laptop, just a tester. 

angusofsthlm
Apprentice

I'm using a 5D3 as webcam to my older MBP (High Sierra) in my studio that's now my "meeting room".

Same problem with the CPU going bananas and thus a loud fan. Happens as soon as the webcam starts showing a picture. Have to use an external microphone whereas the internal mic would otherwise have been fine. Kind of defeats the convenience of the Canon webcam app if I have to rig for sound to use it. I look great, though.

Same here. CPU usage goes high when I'm using the EOS Webcam Utility as a video sourcer. I also noticed that this happens when I'm using EOS Utility remote shot, but only if the preview image is showing on screen. 

Disclaimer: I never use Webcam Utility with EOS Utility opened. Infact I only installed it for test purposes. 

Is there a way to choose EOS Webcam Utility to be rendered by the GPU instead? This would be handy in some cases. 

Also, when I'm using OBS with EOS Webcam Utility, the CPU stays high - at the same level - regardless of the Webcam resolution set inside the OBS. 

Hope this helps to improve the software! Smiley Happy

Announcements