cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using multiple cameras on one computer to digitize books with EOS Webcam Utility

a_aldridge
Apprentice

I would like to digitize bound books using two cameras that is connected to one computer. I noticed that the EOS Webcam Utility Pro 2.0 has the ability to connect multiple cameras, but from the videos I've seen this function is used for video recording and streaming. Would EOS Webcam Utility Pro allow me to connect multiple cameras in order to take images of each side of a book (right and left pages) and download and process the images through the utility program?  I'm trying to avoid having to use multiple computers to connect to the two cameras that is used to take the image of each side of book's pages.

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@a_aldridge wrote:

I would like to digitize bound books using two cameras that is connected to one computer. I noticed that the EOS Webcam Utility Pro 2.0 has the ability to connect multiple cameras, but from the videos I've seen this function is used for video recording and streaming. Would EOS Webcam Utility Pro allow me to connect multiple cameras in order to take images of each side of a book (right and left pages) and download and process the images through the utility program?  I'm trying to avoid having to use multiple computers to connect to the two cameras that is used to take the image of each side of book's pages.

Since you are recording still images you want EOS Utility, not the Web Utility.

EOSU won't allow two cameras to be connected at the same time.

What if you set up a sliding platform where you would take one image, slide the book and then take the facing page?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I like John's suggestion.  To do this right and well, you're going to need some gear.  A rig to hold your camera(s).  I've seen arms for cellular phones too.  Its just depends on how fast you want to go.  

On an aside, I have used both of these personally.  These devices do exactly what you are looking for.  They also support flattening, scaling and automatic numbering.  The higher end model has a cool foot pedal.  They are not cheap, but if you take your time into consideration and have a large amount of data to scan/archive, they do work really well.  Just throwing it out there.

shadowsports_0-1672975676429.png

Another option:

shadowsports_0-1672980558878.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements