cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble connecting my EOS 90D to EOS Utilities

HeidiD
Apprentice

Last year I purchased a 90D and since then I have had nothing but trouble getting it to connect to my computer. I would really like to get the EOS Utilities to work with this camera as it will organize my files automatically. 

I first tried to connect the camera through WIFI and though the computer can connect to the cameras WIFI, EOS Utilities will not recognize the camera. After trying this several times it only got worse and got to the point the EOS Utilities will not open. I then tried with the camera tethered and EOS Utilities would pop open, say the camera was not recognized and then close again. (i di have the wireless connection disabled at that point) I contacted Canon support and went through a long list of possible fixes, including checking device settings on the computer, all to no avail. I have tried this on 4 different computers and no luck. 3 of those 4 computers running on Windows 10 and one on Windows 7. 3 out of the 4 computers have hardly anything extra installed on them other then the standard for a computer. I had emailed Canon support back and forth on this with no solution. I even sent the camera back to see if it had a problem and Canon said everything worked fine on their end. Finally I called and the only thing that they could tell me is that it was with my computer and that I needed to take it to a tech. I took it to a tech and he said he got it working with just an update (I had already checked both the firmware and the EOS to make sure they were up to date). I plugged the camera in and EOS Utilities opened up. I started to download the pictures off of my camera and it worked for part of the download and then once again kicked the camera off. I would be able to download maybe 15 to 30 pictures at a time before the camera would be kicked off. The wireless connection never would work. I accepted this partial solution for the time being because I really was just out of options. I just worked with the problems up until about a month ago when the program went right back to not recognizing the camera and then not even opening up. At this point I am beyond frustrated with the whole system. I had really wanted to be able to download pictures wirelessly but right now I would settle just to be able to download the pictures off of my camera at all. Has anyone else had an issue with EOS Utilities?

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I know it doesn't directly answer your question, but my suggestion would be to use an external card reader to download your images.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Agree with John on this one. While we both recognize that this does not resolve your desire to have Canon software automatically organize your photos, you assumedly have some knowledge of Windows, so manually downloading/moving them should not be an issue.  You can always create a batch file, so that when you connect a card to the computer you just run that and it will copy the files to a specified folder.

I never directly connect my cameras to my computers - I just remove the cards and pop them into a reader that is either integrated into the computer or connected by USB.  The download is generally faster, I don't drain the camera batteries in the process, and the chipsets of the computers are irrelevant..

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What type of CPU chipset are you running. Make sure that you are not using a USB port expander, and also try all of the USB ports.  You typically want [use] ports that come directly off of the motherboard, so test all of them.

The Canon EOS Utility prerequisites call for an Intel Chipset.  Many users with AMD chipsets, especially those running AMD boards on home brewed platforms, experience issues with the [USB] ports not working with Canon camera bodies.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

HeidiD
Apprentice

The chipset is Intel I believe. I am using the USB ports directly into the computer and yes I have tried all of them.  I guess just downloading them trough the card reader port is probably the only option. I have a very large card and tend to not upload pictures until I have a bunch which span over several months. This makes it a bit of work to do. I find it irritating that Canon creates a program that is so finicky and can't be used. Thanks for the help

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

With all due respect, not downloading images from your card to your computer ASAP after shooting is a risky habit.

Cards are not immune from failure - and having a copy on your computer, preferably with that backed up, is good practise.

You have to ask yourself how upset you would be if you lost what was on the card.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements