Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software to transfer images from PowerShot G11 to PC

Mike999
Contributor

Hi,

My question is quite simple.

For many years I was using Canon s/w to transfer photos from camera to PC. My hard drive recently crashed and I need to reinstall  this s/w.

But I do not remember  its name! I browsed Canon websites but could not find it.

It is very simple and convenient s/w. It has not even menu but a few (3-4) long horizontal buttons of blue color.

My favorite button is: "Transfer untransferred images". After that all untrasnferred images sorted by folders (with date as a folder name) appeared in a configured location ("Pictures"  in my case). 

The camera is Canon Powershot G11. I know it is old but I think the s/w is still available.

The advice on how the s/w is called would be much appreciated. 

Thank you,

Mike.

17 REPLIES 17

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Mike,

Your last image of the black screen with "your camera is not detected" did it for me.  That is not  Canon's Camera Window software. It's a default camera utility included with the operating system.  It's used for camera setup and calibration. Either the built-in camera if a laptop or a USB connected webcam.  It has a toggle for capturing a still image or displaying video.  It's a helpful tool, part of the windows OS.

shadowsports_0-1681993047803.png

Go to your start menu and look under "C" Canon, expand that folder and you should find "Camera Window.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

>>Go to your start menu and look under "C" Canon, expand that folder and you will find Camera window. 

This is a very good idea. I did it and icon of  "Camera Window" looks like is what I am after. 

However, when I click it  I get the following message:

Cannot detect camera.jpg

It is truly drives me mad because WinExplore and Device Manager are seeing camera G11.

I do not understand why Canon utilities do not.

Kind regards,

Mike.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Yes.  Its odd.  You can't get the application to run, with or without the camera detected.  I think the best solution is the one you found. 

ImageBrowser_EX_CameraWindow_Instruction_Manual_EN.pdf (c-wss.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

It is absolutely weird.  I tried to install Camera Window on another computer.

The result is the same: Canon Utility does not see connected G11 whereas WinExplore and Device Manager are seeing it.

I will send enquiry to Canon Support. However, I guess what they more likely will answer:  G11 is old camera and is not supported any longer. 

I really appreciate your time and efforts,

All the best,

Mike.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Agree. I'm glad we figured it out but I'm sorry that the software won't run for you.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports, 

That Application CameraWindow is not working with latest Windows 11 and my PowerShot A1200. 🤷‍♂️

I don't know if it ever worked with this model of Camera in the past, I guess I can try with Windows 10. 😂

Cannot detect Camera even when the Camera is clearly there in File Explorer. 🤷‍♂️🤬

fg2001IB_0-1705449933263.png

Same Canon Utility CameraWindow DC has no problem with Windows 10 and the same Camera Canon PowerShot A1200.

So much for compatibility. 🤣🤬

fg2001IB_1-1705451898942.png

There is also a newer version of Canon CameraWindow DC which I tried.

CameraWindow DC 8.10.9b for Windows (hk.canon)

It works fine with Windows 10 but fails to connect to the Camera in Windows 11 like the older version. Basically, useless because Canon never updated the utility for Windows 11. 🤣🤣🤷‍♂️

rstevens15
Contributor

Canon's CameraWindow software will no longer work with Win 11 after a recent update. Unless Canon or MS updates the drivers, which is unlikely as CameraWindow is a legacy program, everyone is out of luck.  The software does still work in Win 10. There is a workaround on the previous page by finding the camera in file explorer and right clicking. Choose download pictures and videos. Choosing the correct settings it will duplicate what CameraWindow did.

@rstevens15,

You are just repeating what has already been said. 🤣🤣🤷‍♂️

Canon drops the ball too easily, they stop supporting their products when it is convenient for Canon. They never think about their customers. That means I will never buy a Canon product ever again.  😝🤐

Announcements