cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software to convert CR3 to DNG or TIFF

AndrewYu
Apprentice

Got a R6 and would like to continue shooting raw, but do not want to pay Adobe's annual fee. I still use older version of Lightroom. I think this mean I need to convert CR3 to either dng or tiff.

I've installed latest DPP4 multiple times, on multiple hard drives - internal and external.  Am getting the same non-responsive application whenever I try to "convert and save". I'm thinking DPP4 not liking high end gaming PC?

Can someone recommend other CR3 converters?

I guess I can always shoot raw+jpeg and save the raw until there is a solution, or DPP5?

9 REPLIES 9

Peter
Authority
Authority
Why not just use Adobe DNG converter?

@Peter brings up a good point, the DNG converter will work.  I undersdtand though you want a streamlined process, the less steps the better.

I use DPP as well, although not as much.  DPP seems to like Intel based system's over AMD.  I haven't experieneced any performance issues with it.  3 examples below.  DPP is great for users who stay within the Canon eco system.  The moment however you get a 3rd party lens, the party's over.  (All lens correction has to be manual).      

Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W10 20H2
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W10 2004
Z97X-UD5H (F6) \850w, 4790K, 16GB Vengeance, GTX 970 FTW SC, RAID0, W10_20H2

Consider DxO's PhotoLab.  The R6 is fully supported.  Its free to try, and is on sale for easter currently.  It has a large following and community of users on PC's Intel / AMD, and MAC if thats your thing.  I considered going the perpetual license Lr too, but also wanted something that would continue to be supported, upgraded and sustainable.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

AndrewYu
Apprentice

Since my original post, I've tried Adobe's converter which doesn't recognize R6 CR3 files.

I've also installed trial version of Dx0 Photolab which does open R6 CR3.

Oddly, Luminar AI also started to recognize R6 CR3s.  I've been installing and re-installing, DPP and Adobe's converter, I can't tell if one of those helped Luminar or if something from Dx0.

I'm going to continue saving RAW + JPEG, build a new PC for photo and hopefully can get DPP to work on that one.

@AndrewYu wrote:

Since my original post, I've tried Adobe's converter which doesn't recognize R6 CR3 files.

Oddly, Luminar AI also started to recognize R6 CR3s.  I've been installing and re-installing, DPP and Adobe's converter, I can't tell if one of those helped Luminar or if something from Dx0.

I'm going to continue saving RAW + JPEG, build a new PC for photo and hopefully can get DPP to work on that one.

If you plan to build a PC, I assume that it will be a Windows 10 PC.  Before you do, conduct some research into the AMD Ryzien(?) CPU boards compatibility with Canon cameras.  It's not.  

They do not seem to like to play together.  There seems to be some sort of issue related to USB ports on AMD motherboards. I have read that it is a firmware issue.  I have also read that the latest AMD boards, just released in 2021, do not seem to suffer the same issues, which is a good thing.

I have always suspected that there was some sort of hardware fault in the design of the AMD USB ports, while others have suspected a firmware issue.  The problem is at least three years old, and it should not take three years to come up with a firmware update to fix the problem.  Instead, a brand new board design seems to have cured the problem.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My current gaming PC is Ryzen about 2 years old and could explain recent problems I'm having. Problems I did not have when I was on old gaming PC which was Intel. I was also using old Lightroom, without the annual dues.

Thanks much for info. I guess I have to dig deeper into comparing AMD vs Intel, even though I was leaning towards Intel.

Canon DPP seems to also be Intel biased and Intel is what they list in base processor requirements. 

I use a pair of HP Z series workstations (Z840 and Z820) for photo and video.  They each have a pair of fast multiple core Intel Xeon CPUs and a pair of Nvida workstation graphics cards and handle DPP and Adobe suite well.

The only Win 10 issues I have had related to my cameras was with EOS utility, I use one of the ethernet ports in the workstations for file transfer and until I changed the camera setup to use a fixed IP address I would sometimes run into a problem with the camera being slow to initially connect.  This problem usually occurred after one of the frequent Windows features updates.  I wish that was the only issue with Windows 10.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

In order to use DPP stay away from AMD, if you check the specs on versions from 4.8 onward you can notice that the "or compatile" expression for the CPU is vanished so only intel core 2 duo or higher CPU is supported now. I am still using 4.7.3 on my AMD phenom because the newer ones often crash on editing and I stick with EOS M6 otherwise I will have to get a newer computer too to deal with cameras saving raw .CR3

@AndrewYu wrote:

Download the latest version of DNG Converter. R6 is supported. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

alexpilion
Enthusiast
It looks like here there is an open source alternative. Photivo, a software which was almost abandoned got an update on november 2020 to include a newer version of libraw.
The CR3 are supported in libraw since December 2019 so likely with the last update it should be able to convert them.
I tried it like 7 years ago then I moved to DPP cause it was way more user friendly but anyway at the time I managed to convert CR from the G3x, in case you want to know about it look at tutorials / video pages on https://photivo.org

I hope this help.
Announcements