cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software for processing raw images

Stumann
Contributor

I recently upgraded my camera from a XTi (10.1 Megapixel) a T6s (24.2 Megapixel) .  I used Canon ZommBrowzer software to edit process my images taken wit the XTi.  I find that software will not work with images taken with the T6s.  I'm guessing it's because of the larger pixel size?  I'm now using Digital Photo Professional 4 and I don't like it.  It's way to complicated for my needs.  I'm happy with just adjusting exposure, white balance, sharpness, saturation, and color tone.  I was wondering what other software might be out there that would suit my needs better?  Or is there a way to get ZoomBrowser to work?

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If you are on a Mac, I think Photos is perfectly fine.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Use DPP for a few days and I think you will find that it is very easy to do the basic stuff that you want to do and if you aren't interested in the other capabilities of the software you can ignore them. 

When just doing basic adjustments, you can process a large number of files very quickly with DPP.  I shot a high school wrestling match Thursday night and had never done one before so it was a learning experience for me.  I shot 480 images between the three camera bodies I used and using DPP selected and did the rough edits (exposure adjustment, cropping, white balance) and selected 170 to keep for the school in just over an hour.  I created a recipe for one photo and pasted that to the remaining to set my basic preferences for white balance, sharpness, and contrast and then made necessary adjustments on individual files.  It doesn't take long to get very fast at making quick edits with DPP.

One thing I do NOT often use on DPP is the auto gamma adjustment function.  I have found that when an image needs significant work, I am rarely happy with what auto gamma does and I spend more time revising what it does than I would in adjusting the individual characteristics manually from the start.

Your T6 is a very capable camera so it is worth the time investment to get through the short learning curve with DPP.  I have the full Adobe cloud suite but for a lot of what I do, DPP is entirely sufficient and very fast and simple to use.  Canon USA has a series of Youtube videos on using DPP which will be helpful when you start doing more with it.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

DPP, Adobe LR, DxO Photo Lab, Affinity..  Start with DPP.  The others provide 3rd party lens support if that is or becomes a factor.

***Edit, if DPP is too complicated for you, then Adobe Elements might be a better option. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I've been using Luminar 4 and liking it very much -- it's simple for routine stuff, but deep if you need it to be, and a reasonably priced alternative to "renting" software for monthly fees.

Announcements