cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. Now EOS Utility app does not work.

aafotog
Contributor
Recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. Tried downloading photos from my 5D Mark II, but EOS Utility app does not work to Select Images to Download, unlike before. But when I disconnected my External Hard Drive, EOS Utility app main window works normally. I need the external hard drive connected all the time. How can I fix this problem, please? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

This sounds like a hardware problem with your computer.  A USB port puts out a certain amount of power and can be used to power external devices... such as hard drives.  But the camera does not use any USB power -- it runs on the power from the internal battery.  It only uses the data pins to communicate.

But you are describing a situation in which having one device connected a to a USB port prevents a different USB port from working.  That can happen if the device in one port is drawing too much power (it can prevent other ports from working correctly.)  

Did you have this problem when using Windows 7?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for your suggestion.
No, I never had this problem with Windows 7. That's why I almost switched back to 7, until I tried the Device Manager suggestion from a thread below. I went to Device Manager then TURNED OFF ALL PORTS connected to external hard drives. Now EOS Utility works! And I can still use all hard drives. Awesome! Thanks Canon Community!

gschaiper
Apprentice

Recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 as well and I can't download photos from my 5D Mark II in EOS utility as well. Nothing is working and I'm at a loss as well... frustrated....

Try going into Device Manager like I did. Then TURN OFF all USB Ports that are connected to external devices like Hard Drives. This worked for me; and you can still use those devices even if the buttons are OFF. The only difference now is that EOS Utility does not start automatically - I need to start it by clicking on it.

My issue is that I cannot change my destination folder on the Eos Utility.  I also cannot move the files from the SD card.  I understand the photo program on Windows 10 will not let me show my individual folder names, but I really need to be able to change my destination folder first.  Not happy.

Announcements