cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R10 and Webcam Utility on Windows 11

jleonard99
Contributor

Just purchased a Canon R10 for primary use as a webcam. Has anyone got the webcam software to work with the R10 on Windows 11? The Eos Utility software works fine, and I can record directly on my PC using this software.  When I try using the device as a webcam by selecting the Eos Webcam in my recording software, the R10 display flashes on-and-off (I see the picture then an icon and back), and eventually my recording software (Camtasia Recorded 2022) give a "Failed to Add Video Sampler" error.  I realize I'm out on the edge, the Eos WebCam utility is not listed in the "Software and Drivers" section of the Canon site for the R10 like it is for other cameras. I hijacked the webcam utility from another camera's list, so I expect to hear from you all that it doesn't run.  I searched the web and tried several different tips (e.g., close all instances of Eos Utility; try different cable; open back LCD panel, remove cap; etc.) but nothing worked.

Is Canon working on a fix? I purchased the R10 for use as a webcam. Prior to my purchase I saw no evidence that it would not work as a webcam.  Because I have a bunch of older EF-S lenses (my first Canon was a 20D) I thought that I'd stick with my way old investment. However, I'm not afraid to return the R10 and get something from another vendor if it will work as a webcam without this much pain. I'd much prefer to give my money to Canon!

Thanks for any suggestions!!

17 REPLIES 17

P.S. I found that I needed to plug the HDMI-USB converter DIRECTLY INTO the PC and NOT into any external USB hubs. The USB hubs are "noisy" and create just enough interference to the signal to cause problems. I also found that the PC was finicky when plugging and unplugging the adapters. Once you have everything plugged in, REBOOT. I hate having to reboot, but I found that everything was properly discovered at the best resolutions after a reboot. Finally, disable the Canon EOS Utilities tools. When installed they automatically start in the background, and cause havok. I suggest turning off auto-start on the tools and only turn them on when you need them.

The reboot bit is a pain. So $130 for the device and each time you want to use it you have to reboot. Less a than ideal, but I guess it gets the functionality. Thanks for the update.

Sorry for my poor explanation. I believe that windows kept getting confused as I plugged and unplugged 2 different CamLinks in and out multiple times as I experimented with different setups. Now that I have everything settled and in place, my system is now ROCK SOLID. I can turn in the camera, turn on the light, and be recording in seconds.  No reboots necessary. Plus, with OBS I can mix inputs from 3 sources - my Canon R10, a logitech webcam, and an Android phone (also with HDMI-USB converter.) Tons of options, no pain.  And the Canon R10 looks great.

No clean HDMI output mode on R10

Yes. There IS clean HDMI. Once you have established a connection, you can toggle the "INFO" button on the back of the camera to make all the clutter go away.  See: "Advanced user manual, page 413."

hoodric
Apprentice

The EOS Webcam Utility works with the Rebel T3. A camera that was released all the way back in March of 2011. With compatibility running that deep, I didn't even think to check that it would work with the R7/R10. Of course it doesn't work, and I'm getting the exact same issue as jleonard99 (the original poster).

I bought Canon because they're what I've always used, and I have some glass I'm sentimental about. But with all the issues lately...

- the lack of support for using the Webcam Utility

- the lack of a roadmap/announcements for upcoming RF-S lenses

- Canon's seeming refusal to license the RF protocols to third party lens manufacturers 

...I'm beginning to wonder if I should jump ship and just adapt. After all, I'm adapting all my EF glass anyway.

mentadent
Apprentice

My credit card chargeback was accepted. Camera going in the trash.

briefstahl
Apprentice

I just spent an 2 hours on trying to download the utility. First, their page doesn't work. You can't download the webcam Utility for windows on that page. I went to a support chat with Canon and learned that they've never bothered to certify the utility for Windows 11 and have no date for doing so. They gave me a working link but, wouldn't guarantee the utility would work. Guess what? It doesn't work on Windows 11. I guess since that OS has only been out for one year, they just haven't gotten around to it.

Announcements