cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Preview - how to rotate?

nerdswithknives
Apprentice

We have a Canon 6D Mark I which we use for food photography. We often mount the camera on an arm facing straight down onto a table. We use EOS Utility 3 on a Mac (10.14). 

Recently, somehow a setting has been activated where the main preview window is correctly aligned (eg portrait aspect ratio) but the quick preview is rotated from that window 90 degrees. It makes it very difficult to get an accurate assessment of the preview. We have tried turning on "Auto rotate' in the software settings, but nothing changes.

DOes anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi William

Thank you for the reply. I double-checked my settings and they are as you recommend. I also cleared the camera settings just in case. This did not do the trick for me, unforunately.

I then found the tiny triangular button just to the top right of the shutter button in the software. This did rotate the preview image. 

Can you explain a little more about this feature? Is it purely to rotate the preview image, or does it have a similar function to the other "rotate" features in the software? 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

William_N
Enthusiast

Hello nerdswithknives,

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

In this situation I recommend making sure that the Auto rotate feature on the camera is set to ON(camera/computer), and that the Auto rotate button in the Remote Shooting Live View window is off (gray not blue).

The last thing to check is that the Rotate Image option, in the Remote Shooting tab of the Preferences menu in EOS Utility, is checked. You will need to open the Preferences menu of EOS Utility first by clicking the Preferences button, select the Remote Shooting tab, and then make sure the Rotate Image setting has a checkmark.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi William

Thank you for the reply. I double-checked my settings and they are as you recommend. I also cleared the camera settings just in case. This did not do the trick for me, unforunately.

I then found the tiny triangular button just to the top right of the shutter button in the software. This did rotate the preview image. 

Can you explain a little more about this feature? Is it purely to rotate the preview image, or does it have a similar function to the other "rotate" features in the software? 

Hey there,

This would be similar to the rotation function inside the camera where it will save the orientation within metadata so as long as the program you are viewing the image in can read that part of the metadata it should maintain that correction.

Announcements