cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about software.

Crochetmomma18
Apprentice

I just got my first Canon, it is an EOS Rebel T6. I really like it thus far, however when I went to download the driver to  download pictures I have taken so far it states the my OSX 10.8 is not compatible. Has anyone else dealt with this before, if so what did you do?

Thank you for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

First, start Image Capture from your Applications folder.

Connect and turn on your camera (or connect your card reader if you are using that)

You should see a window like this screenshot:

Screenshot 2018-12-10 21.49.18.jpg

You should have a dropdown window that allows you to choose what happens when you connect your device.

Since you have 10.8 I don't think you have Photos, just iPhoto.

Select what you want to start up. If you are using a third party software you can choose it in Other, or select iPhoto.

If you just want to import images select Image Capture.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Crochetmomma18 wrote:

I just got my first Canon, it is an EOS Rebel T6. I really like it thus far, however when I went to download the driver to  download pictures I have taken so far it states the my OSX 10.8 is not compatible. Has anyone else dealt with this before, if so what did you do?

Thank you for any help.

The latest Apple OS is too new.  You should have seen similar messages for the free Canon Digital Photo Professional software, too.  The download screen allows you to select and choose an Operating System.  

Choose the most recent OS that has the software available for download, and run with that.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Apple is on macOS version 10.14 now (aka “Mojave”).  Your OS is about 6 years old (your OS is called “Lion”).

OS upgrades are free on the Mac.   But based on processor type there may be a limit as to how new of an OS can be installed.  (Latest operating systems require 64-bit processors and there are a few other nuances.)

No “drivers” are required on a Mac to use the camera.  The files can be transferred.  Almost any photo-editing program will be able to handle the JPEG images.

If you store files as RAW files have more information in them ... greater color depth, no lossy compression, etc. then the software needs to be new enough to understand how your camera models RAW files work (each camera model is slightly different.)

Having 10.8 means you probably do not have the “App Store” application on your Mac (which is how Apple distributes OS updates).  But if you call Apple (800-APL-CARE) they usually will provide you a link to the latest OS version that your Mac would be able to run.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mac!  I beta test for a large software company and I hate it when Apple updates the OS on their Mac's. Always trouble! 

Canon should have compatible software for OSX 10.8.  You will just have to find, d/l, the version that works with your OS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ernie, the OP isn't having issues because they 'upgraded'.  They didn't upgrade.  They're just on a really old platform and now having problems finding support for it (which shouldn't come as a suprise).

I've been on every version of Mac since 10.2.  Apple easily has the simplest upgrade process in the industry.  There is no "perfect" platform ... but it has far fewer issues than any other platform on the market.  (I can put this in contrast with Windows... where the upgrades really get ugly, result in data loss and numerous other problems.  This past summer I had to completely wipe and rebuild my Windows 10 laptop due to upgrade problems.)

I have run into a few issues that were predictable.  For example the industry body behind the USB standard will update that standard from time to time (e.g. USB 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, etc.) and now we're up to "USB C".  Each time this happens, the OS vendor has to re-write the USB stack.  So I've seen instances where they don't bother to port drivers from ancient USB devices to run on the latest stack (for example, I had a "USB" attached modem, but as nobody uses dial-up modems anymore, they didn't bother to port the driver so the device no longer works.)    Microsoft doesn't allow mixing 32-bit drivers in a 64-bit OS (and that's understandable) ... so users with very old devices that didn't offer 64-bit drivers didn't work.  But it makes sense as to why those situations happen. 

On the mac, upgrades are really pretty painless. Also they are free.  So there's no good reason not to do it.

It costs money to support old platforms.  Most companies support the "current" OS and maybe one or two older releases.  But it's not worthwhile to go back too far and trying to do so comes with a lot of problems.  This would result in higher costs ... which they'd have to pass along to the consumer (usually by selling products at higher prices).

Another issue has to do with staffing.  Nobody wants to be the developer or support person stuck on the old out-dated software.  For career reasons... you want to work on the "new" stuff, not the "old" stuff.  Consequently, it is actually HARD to find people willing to do that job (and if you force someone into that job and don't get a plant to migrate them out of the role, they update their resume to find a job at another company).  These are the realities of the computer industry.

There are security issues as well... since software updates stop happening for out-of-date platforms, when security holes are uncovered, they are not patched.  You really want to keep current on security patches and that means you want to be running on a "currently supported" OS version (it doesn't have to be the latest platform, but it does have to be new enough that it still gets updates & patches).

In the industry we sometimes call this situation "technical debt".  This is when a person lets their technology fall so far behind that its age is causing problems because it isn't really supportable.  When they eventually have a support incident... there's no simple way to resolve it and they basically HAVE to upgrade (even if upgrading means spending money.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"Ernie, the OP isn't having issues because they 'upgraded'.  They didn't upgrade.  They're just on a really old platform and now having problems finding support for it (which shouldn't come as a suprise)."

Yes, sir, I realized that.   Still Mac's OS updates make a lot of stuff that previously worked, not work. I don't work on the Mac team I just look sorry for them. I am sure Canon will fix this if it even needs a fix.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Canon should have compatible software for OSX 10.8.  You will just have to find, d/l, the version that works with your OS."

Apparently they do not, because the Canon T6 download site says "There is no software for the OS Version you selected."

There are two issues at work. One is software supporting the OS. The other is software supporting the particular camera.

Canon has compatible software for macOS 10.8, but that software is not compatible with the T6.

But, for the OP - it is not necessary to use any canon software with your T6.

Image Downloader on the Mac will download your images and Apple Photos is a capable photo editor. Both of those are free.

There are also capable poructs in the $50-100 range, like Luminar and Affinity Photo, as well as a number of others.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Crochetmomma18
Apprentice
Thank you,
So I just plug the camera up to the Mac and it will automatically link up then.

First, start Image Capture from your Applications folder.

Connect and turn on your camera (or connect your card reader if you are using that)

You should see a window like this screenshot:

Screenshot 2018-12-10 21.49.18.jpg

You should have a dropdown window that allows you to choose what happens when you connect your device.

Since you have 10.8 I don't think you have Photos, just iPhoto.

Select what you want to start up. If you are using a third party software you can choose it in Other, or select iPhoto.

If you just want to import images select Image Capture.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Crochetmomma18
Apprentice
Thank you very much, I will try this.
Announcements