cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo editing software recommendations

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

On another thread, it was mentioned about editing photos. My T7 and File Explorer allow some editing but would like to expand the capabilities. Did the usual search and came up with a list from the XX Best Free Editing Software. GIMP was mentioned a few times as the recommended software. Anyone use this? Seemed simple to use and free. Thanks.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
45 REPLIES 45

" Just heard from a friend who Uses Photo Shop Elements 14."

PSE is a great editor for beginners. It has almost everything PS has and offers some other features it doesn't.  Non-pro folks really like PSE.

I see no reason to shoot Raw+jpg.  It just uses up your SF card faster.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

This fellow isn't exactly a beginner as he has been writing and photograpy for many years. Has won several Excelence in Craft awards.

Now, down to brass tacks. I don't keep tons of photos on my camera and I keep extra cars in the backpack. I download each time I shoot a series which could b e every day. BTW, downloaded wife's phone once...300+ photos! Anyway, I'll play with the camera tomorrow and shoot in RAW and the combo setting to see what it's like.  I take it that the verious software is for RAW and not jpeg/jpg?

My photos now go to Cloud which allows limited editing but I'm looking at the crisp deetail amd bold colors that I see in magazines. I "specialize" mainly in hunting and fishing publications but looking to expand. That's a way to say I want t make  more $$$$!. ebiggs1, thanks for your help.

John

Good luck and let me know how you do and make out.

EB

I found DPP4 last night but had an online meeting. Didn't know how long it would take to download. Taking some photos in RAW and RAW/jpg to see any difference but. will work on editing the RAW photos. I found a YT tutorial on anvigating the DPP4 last night. Thanks again!

John

Here's a whole series of canon tutorial videos on DPP.

(4) Canon DPP 4 Tutorials - YouTube

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks. Will be spending part of this afternoon taking photos and downloading DPP4 and tutorials.

Many thanks to all  for your recommendations, etc.

John

"Taking some photos in RAW and RAW/jpg to see any difference ..."

Remember DPP4 or any other editor is just another tool in the photographers arsenal.  The more 'right' you get the settings in the camera the less editing you will need to do in DPP4.  Although DPP4 and the others ignore all those settings.  They are, however, used to make the display image you see on your monitor.  You can not view a Raw file since it is essentially zeros and ones. Plus the editing latitude is great in Raw and the original file is never changed or altered. It should be saved in a safe place.

EB

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I’m not aware of any camera settings that DPP ignores in the default state.

It is possible to configure DPP to override some settings on import. And some tools have finer adjustments in DPP; i.e. sharpness has decimal point steps compared to integer steps in the in-camera Picture Styles.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

"You can not view a Raw file"

So how do you view it?

Just downloaded the DPP4 and have it saved as a Shortcut for convenience. When I pulled it up, it had downloaded a bunch of jpg photos that I have taken over the years!

John

@Tintype_18 wrote:

So how do you view it?

Just downloaded the DPP4 and have it saved as a Shortcut for convenience. When I pulled it up, it had downloaded a bunch of jpg photos that I have taken over the years!

"

So how do you view it?"

A RAW file needs to be processed before you can actually view it. That is what DPP does. In addition, your computer may have a "codec" for Canon RAW files; if so, them when you view the files in a folder the codec is showing you the JPEG file that is embedded in the RAW file.

" When I pulled it up, it had downloaded a bunch of jpg photos that I have taken over the years!"

DPP doesn't download files or import them into the software like Lightroom does. DPP simply located your Pictures folder and showed you what you had in the folder. That is important to remember, since if you connect your camera or cardreader to the computer DPP might see those devices and allow you to edit the images, but if you save them they won't be saved on your computer.

In an earlier post you mentioned that you don't keep a lot of images on your camera. I suggest you download any images you took to your computer at the end of the day. A camera is not a place to be storing images. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements