cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any news about the updated version of EOS utility for macOS Sierra v10.12?

KarimTarek
Apprentice

Guys,

Is it that Canon is being too slow or is it that complicated to make a version compatible with macOS Sierra v10.12?
My mac is not reading my camera and this is affecting my work negatively big time.

is there any help or advice?!

11 REPLIES 11

@KarimTarek wrote:

Guys,

Is it that Canon is being too slow or is it that complicated to make a version compatible with macOS Sierra v10.12?
My mac is not reading my camera and this is affecting my work negatively big time.

is there any help or advice?!

Since you ask ...

If you are a professional or semi-professional photographer (IOW, if you need to be able to use up-to-date Canon or Adobe software in order to do your job), then my advice is that you buy a Windows computer. You probably don't want to hear that; Mac users seldom do. But in the 2+ years that I've been following this forum, most of the serious complaints we've heard regarding software incompatibility have come from Mac users - even though I suspect that the Windows-using cohort is far larger. Experience has shown that the Mac versions of Canon's and Adobe's software invariably lag behind the Windows versions by a few weeks or months and that Canon, at least, finds it far harder to keep up with Apple's operating system changes than with Microsoft's. Whose fault that is doesn't matter; you're not going to change it, so you might as well accept it as a fact of life.

I have no axe to grind in this. And I'm not urging you to switch your normal workflow from a Mac to a Windows computer. What I am saying is that if you absolutely have to stay current, you had better have a Windows computer available.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I do really understand what your saying but I can't switch to windows for many reasons, EOS Utility was working perfectly before macOS Sierra v10.12. I think a big company like Canon should work in a parralel line with Apple.

I have never had a problem in the 15+ years I have Macs - I had Amigas before that!

Companies are slow to support Mac, the key is not to upgrade the day a new OS comes out, hang back and let other work out the bugs.

I never had a problem before as well 😕

mlgboy
Apprentice

Hi all, with the EOS utility problem with OS X Sierra, just found that if i do not use the on-board USB's on my MAC then it seems to work fine. Quite by chance I connected the USB to a thunderbolt hub that i have (Startech) and the utility works absolutly fine. Use the on-board ones and it doesnt. So it might be possible to use any off-board USB.

It's not only about downloading the pictures, it's about the live view. 90% of my work depends on the live view. 

@KarimTarek wrote:

It's not only about downloading the pictures, it's about the live view. 90% of my work depends on the live view. 

Check with Apple.  I've heard rumors that they may have released an update. 

Everything worked just fine until Apple released this Sierra v10,12, which broke the existing code base for wide numbers of third party vendors and manufacturers.  Breaking your existing code base is a major, major faux pas.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

LetDown
Apprentice
It does matter. By that same logic, shouldn't you suggest he switch from Canon to Nikon if it is Canon's fault?

@LetDown wrote:
It does matter. By that same logic, shouldn't you suggest he switch from Canon to Nikon if it is Canon's fault?

Switching from Canon to Nikon usually involves buying all new cameras and lenses. Buying a Windows computer is a much cheaper solution. Besides, are you sure that Nikon's equivalent of the EOS Utility runs on the latest Mac OS?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements