cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Transfer Utility using desktop PC with wired network connection

cumak
Apprentice

I tried using the Image Transfer Utility using my Windows desktop PC, but it was unable to pair with my camera (M50).  My desktop PC has a wired network connection to my home WiFi router, and I noticed that the instructions specifically said that the computer running ITU has to be connected to the same *wireless* network as the camera.   This PC does not have a WiFi adapter, so instead I tried ITU using my laptop (on WiFi) and the pairing worked  fine.

Is it really not possible to use Image Transfer Utility with a PC that has a wired network connection to the router?  Or is the problem something else on that desktop PC?

I have a pretty typical home network.  I have a Netgear WiFi yrouter, and there are several devices (including this desktop PC) connected with Ethernet cables to the LAN ports.  All other decives (including the camera) are connected to WiFi.  All devices, whether they are wired or wireless, are on the same 192.168.15.x subnet.

If I have to I will put a WiFi adapter in the desktop but it seems silly to have to do that.  Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The problem turned out to be the firewall settings on PC1.  I disabled the firewall (I'm using Norton 360) and pairing worked fine.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Does your wired LAN have a wireless access point?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes.  The wired LAN connects to a pretty standard WiFi router, which functions as both a router and an access point.

So the problem appears to have something to do with this particular PC, not the wireless vs. wired issue.  I have two PCs that are on my wired network, call them PC1 and PC2.  i just tried ITU with PC2 and pairing worked fine, so the problem is something specific to PC1.   I will take a closer look at the network settings on each.

The problem turned out to be the firewall settings on PC1.  I disabled the firewall (I'm using Norton 360) and pairing worked fine.

Announcements