cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7X MKIII and Webcam Utility--USB not working

rboguiren1
Apprentice

Hello

I have a Canon G7X MKIII which previously worked with a USB-C connection. Now all it does is show a computer icon along with battery life when plugged in direct USB-C.

The webcam utility software shows that a camera is not connected. Wifi and Bluetooth are disabled.

I have tried connecting the camera to the main USB inputs found on the computer along with the extension dock--still no luck. 

Any ideas what I can do?

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@rboguiren1 wrote:

Hello

I have a Canon G7X MKIII which previously worked with a USB-C connection. Now all it does is show a computer icon along with battery life when plugged in direct USB-C.

The webcam utility software shows that a camera is not connected. Wifi and Bluetooth are disabled.

I have tried connecting the camera to the main USB inputs found on the computer along with the extension dock--still no luck. 

Any ideas what I can do?

Try a different cable.  Also, make sure that any other Canon software that talks to the camera is not running.  Only one app can talk to the camera at a time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I tried different cables and turned off all programs--still no luck.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

"I have a Canon G7X MKIII which previously worked with a USB-C connection. Now all it does is show a computer icon along with battery life when plugged in direct USB-C."

Any changes to the computer, like an OS update?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Nope, no updates and running OSX Mojave and Catalina

Still no luck with USB C connection

rboguiren1
Apprentice

I am posting here again as I was able to get the webcam mode to work with a USB-C cable a few months back

But the same problem has occurred again...I am using the same cable yet the same thing happens (an icon of a computer being connected occurs)

I would really like to use this camera as a webcam...is there a specific type of USB-C cable that I need to use? 

Announcements