cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Name Prefix Change - Partial Failure

KenK3
Apprentice

I have an EOS Rebel T7.

I decided to change the default file prefix from IMG_ to T7_ to help distinguish from other cameras when looking in, for example, Windows Explorer.

If I download a photo via a wired connection, the T7_ prefix is in place as desired.  If I use the wireless connection to download a photo, it is recorded with the IMG_ prefix.  This seems very odd!

I don't like using the wired connection as the port cover is a flimsy thing and I feel certain it's going to fall off after not too many uses.

Can someone suggest how to get the T7_ prefix applied to photos downloaded wirelessly?

Thanks!

Ken

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I looked in the manual. It doesn't look, to me, that you can change the file prefix in the T7.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I had zero luck with the manual.  However, one can change the file name prefix using the EOS Utility.  There is a field for that purpose withing the utility.  Changing the field in the utility does the trick for wired downloads but not wireless.  That makes no sense to me at all but is the fact of the matter.

Thanks for taking a look!

Ken

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Is this the setup process you followed?

https://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1022704/~/using-eos-utility-3.x-to-sen...

Another option if EOSU isn’t behaving properly is to use the Rename feature in Canon DPP4. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks, I'll give that a try (I've had enough fooling around with this and will get back to it.)  Very frustrating when software doesn't act as represented, which I'm beginning to think is the norm across all platforms and environments!)

Ken

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

This is in the pdf manual for EOSU version 3.13. I don't see a similar note in the latest web-based manual. May be a change or an omission.

Screenshot 2022-02-14 092147.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

KenK3
Apprentice

I spent the runup to the Super Bowl yesterday fiddling with this.

The software says that the file name prefix will be T7_.  The LAN function works properly.  The actual performance remains that if a picture is downloaded via USB, it is named as desired, T7_####.  If a picture is downloaded via LAN, it will be named IMG_####.

I've concluded that this is likely a bug in the software, perhaps related to the fact that the wired connection goes to Windows and the LAN connection goes to IOS.  I've also concluded that I've spent enough time fighting this.  I'll just use the wired connection and risk eventual loss of the sad little excuse for a cover that protects the wired connections.

Thanks for your thoughts and efforts on this!

Ken

Announcements