cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Example of editing with Canon DPP software

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

I made this photo this morning standing on my front porch before the sun had come over the trees. I used Canon DPP to edit the raw CR3 file and saved more than one version of a JPG file from DPP. The version uploaded here is scaled to lower resolution and has greater compression to meet the file size requirement for upload. I have used exiftool to make an HTML table of camera settings and edits. I used exiftool to add a description, IPTC metadata, and keywords to the JPG files. The deer are not very patient with me and I do not have much time to adjust camera settings before they run away.

Since firmware version 1.5, the EOS R5 has recorded roll angle in the image metadata. I used this to level the image in DPP. It seems to me that DPP in some future version might offer to level the image automatically when DPP can find roll angle in the metadata. Software for stitching a panorama might also use roll angle and pitch angle if they were documented by Canon.

White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus) in Norman, Oklahoma, United States on July 12, 2024White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus) in Norman, Oklahoma, United States on July 12, 2024

File:Other FileName IMG_0718.CR3
EXIF:Image ISO 1250
MakerNotes:Camera FocalLength 200 mm
EXIF:Image ExposureTime 1/100
MakerNotes:Camera LensModel EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
EXIF:Camera Model Canon EOS R5
MakerNotes:Camera RollAngle 0.9
MakerNotes:Camera DigitalLensOptimizerSetting On
MakerNotes:Camera DigitalLensOptimizer Standard
File:Other FileName IMG_0718cs2.JPG
XMP:Image Description White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus) in Norman, Oklahoma, United States on July 12, 2024
File:Other FileName IMG_0718.dr4
CanonVRD:Image DR4CameraModel EOS R5
CanonVRD:Image AngleAdj -0.09
CanonVRD:Image GammaContrast 0.3
CanonVRD:Image GammaSaturation 1
CanonVRD:Image GammaSaturation 1
CanonVRD:Image GammaUnsharpMaskStrength 2
CanonVRD:Image GammaUnsharpMaskFineness 4
CanonVRD:Image GammaUnsharpMaskThreshold 4
CanonVRD:Image DPRAWMicroadjustBackFront -2
CanonVRD:Image DPRAWMicroadjustStrength 8
CanonVRD:Image CropX 67