cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam will not install EWCService.exe failed to start. Verify.....sufficient privileges

RichardZ
Enthusiast

Windows 10, fully updated as of 2/10/23.  

I borrowed some text from another thread but it describes the problem in detail.. 

"It flat out refuses to install. I go through all the install process, it unpacks, goes through install progress bar comes close to complete, it hangs for several minutes and then pops up with

EOS Webcam Utility

! Service EWCService' (EWCService.EXE) failed to start. Verify

That you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Retry/Cancel

Try retry all day long and it just repeats only option is to cancel"  .......which uninstalls the package.

I am administrator and right clicking and running the install as an administrator does nothing.

I have rebooted, updated the machine to the latest version available and installed GPEDIT.MSC and set privileges in it according to a web article.  Still does this and it will not install. 

The log that is generated is useless.  The developer created an exception routine but didn't put anything in the log to say why the exception occurred.   

37 REPLIES 37

Tried this and still get the same error.   So, I tried to manually start the service and no matter what state (automatic, manual, automatic (with delayed start) I could not manually start it.  Got a 1053 error, "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion".  So based on Googling I ran an sfc /scannow but no errors were found.  The next step will be to edit the timeout in the Registry and see if it is set properly.  At a loss beyond that.  I see that a couple of others are now reporting the same problem with much newer machines.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

My instructions do not include you trying to restart the service.  You are stopping it to complete the install.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

As I said "Tried this and still get the same error."   So then I " So, I tried to manually start the service and no matter what state (automatic, manual, automatic (with delayed start) I could not manually start it.  Got a 1053 error, "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion". ""

TheoSwart
Apprentice

I am having the exact problem.

I had OBS and EOS Webcam utility (ver1.22) under windows 10 on my laptop and it worked perfectly

then I had to replace the SSD.

I am trying to reinstall EOS Webcam utility (ver1.22) under windows 10 22H2

BUT

The installation does not complete and rapport the error:

“Service EWCService' (EWCService.EXE) failed to start. Verify That you have sufficient privileges to start system services.”

I tried installing three versions:
EOS Webcam utility (ver2.0.30) FAILED
EOS Webcam utility (ver1.22) FAILED
EOS Webcam utility (ver1.14) PASSED

Not sure if it is a Windows update conflict as I can install all three these version on my desktop under windows 10 22H1

I have finally tabled this.  There is some fine point in the install process that they have missed.  If I find a solution I will post it.  Thanks for the info!

I really want to say thank you. With this problem, I tried various things by looking at all kinds of web pages and searching YouTube, but I was not successful. But thanks to your advice I solved it with version 1.1. Thank you so much.

Exotic_A1Pets
Contributor

Hey there Richard how did you set the privileges can you share the link or steps please we have been at this for about almost  hours now and have not had any luck getting pasted that failed to pop up screen  

RichardZ_0-1691768998320.png

Did this to manually start EWCService but then got error code 1053

I also got to that point.  I think that the privileges error is not accurate and there is some fine point that has been missed in the software package.  This is from an earlier post of mine "Tried this and still get the same error.   So, I tried to manually start the service and no matter what state (automatic, manual, automatic (with delayed start) I could not manually start it.  Got a 1053 error, "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion".  So based on Googling I ran an sfc /scannow but no errors were found.  The next step will be to edit the timeout in the Registry and see if it is set properly.  At a loss beyond that.  I see that a couple of others are now reporting the same problem with much newer machines."

Announcements