cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam Utility was working fine on my M1 Max MBP running OBS 27 & macOS 12, but OBS 28 broke it.

Maestro
Apprentice

Not sure what it is about OBS 28 that broke the compatibility with Canon's EOS Webcam Utility, but what was working yesterday on OBS 27 is no longer showing up as a video source option in OBS 28.

I know Canon doesn't prioritize Macs, but this is a pretty big break in compatibility. OBS 28 is a big change in which they drop older technologies in favor of modern ones, so I doubt they'll go back to add support for older protocols. Any chance of an update to EOS Webcam Utility for Apple Silicon & OBS 28 users?

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

So, what changed?  If only OBS changed, then this sounds like an OBS issue to me.  Canon is under no obligation to ensure that their gear and apps work with third party products.

Canon may have a licensing agreement with third parties.  But, the fact remains that you say that the only piece of the puzzle that changed is OBS.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Correct, I'll concede that only OBS changed. However, because OBS is updating their software to modern standards and is depreciating older ones, the more logical solution is for the older software, Canon's EOS Webcam Utility, to update beyond the beta from 2020 and keep up with the modern changes. This likely isn't isolated to just OBS.

My personal concern is with OBS, but the EOS Webcam Utility also doesn't seem to work with any other applications in macOS with Apple Silicon processors. I always wondered if it was a fluke that it continued to work with OBS through 27.

DawkinsPlays
Apprentice

I noticed the same thing this morning. I'm guessing there won't be an updated for this. Luckily I kept my old version on my Mac just in case. I'm curious if someone will find a workaround. In the meantime I'm going to continue to use the older version of OBS. Update me if you find a fix and I'll do the same. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Canon has absolutely zero responsibly to make sure third party hardware and software works.  ZERO.  If OBS changed their software and it does not work, then OBS needs to fix it.

This is not even open to debate.  OBS broke the codebase.

Again, yes, it was OBS that made the change to keep up with modern standards. I'm not debating that. What I'm saying is that Canon's utility app is the one currently stuck with deprecated and outdated code, and OBS is not going to go back in time to accommodate it. My DOS copy of Lemmings on a floppy disk doesn't work on any of my machines, but you wouldn't reasonably expect me to demand HP or Apple "fix it" right? If you look at the original post, it's not asking Canon to "fix" anything. It's asking Canon to update to keep up with the times.

Be polite.  Let’s drop the hypothetical discussions.  Let’s talk actual facts.

I think that you should describe the actual changes and technological upgrades that OBS has made.   Specifically, what does Canon need to update, or upgrade, in order to keep up, in your opinion?

Announcements