Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam Utility (beta): Provide Settings UI or single EOS Utility + Webcam

bsuneja
Contributor

Hello Canon,

Feedback regarding the current webcam utility beta (0.9): 

1. Increase Resolution/QualityTo the max video resolution supported by the camera (4k30) or at least 1080p60.
    2. Settings UI: The current beta doesn't provide any settings UI to change exposure settings, focus, etc.Please provide the following settings directly from the software/UI:
      • ISO
      • Exposure Comp
      • Metering MOde
      • Size/Quality:
      • White Balance
      • Color Temperature
      • Color Balance
      • AF mode 
      • Large (resizable) screen video preview and (touchscreen/mouse) focus point
      • Ability to record video or capture still 
      • Color Correction (Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Saturation)
    3. Single EOS Camera Utility + Webcam driver would make a lot more sense as it provides a lot of the above functionality. Note: The EOS utility (for remote shooting) starts automatically when a camera is plugged and interferes with the EOS Webcam Utility/driver, so if it's running, the webcam doesn't work. 

Bharat

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I don't have any reason to use the utility, but will mention that the EOS utility "automatically starting" when you connect a camera can be disabled.

EOS.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Greetings,

I don't have any reason to use the utility, but will mention that the EOS utility "automatically starting" when you connect a camera can be disabled.

EOS.png

That stops the EOS Utility GUI from launching, but the EOS Utility Launcher Service, which [you] are adjusting, is still running.  This is the part of the EOS Utility that people are unaware that stilll needs to be shutdown.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You'd have to click Quit to make it quit and make the hidden icon disappear.

Once you do that, EOS Webcam Utility makes the camera avaialble as a webcam to other programs. If you have too many programs installed that could potentially use the webcam, it can be challenging to determine which program is actually using it. 

It'd be great if Canon had a unified software for a) live shooting and changing camera settings b) webcam, and from within it, you could select which program uses the webcam (e.g. Microsoft Teams, WebEx, Skype, OBS, etc.).

Correct,

Mine is set not to start when a device connects, and i "quit" it, so its not running as a background task as well.  i rarely (ever) use the App. I just start it on demand if needed.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I was able to buy an Elgato HD60S+ so resolves the urgency issue for now. 

I'll follow Canon's foray and hope we can get better results than with HDMI capture devices.

Bharat

Announcements