cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility on Windows 10 - Stops Responding while Recording in Live View 80D

cutty3d
Apprentice

Just recently, this problem started.  I record craft tutorial videos via my Canon 80D with a USB cable using the EOS Utility 3.x.  I use the laptop to use Live View recording. I have been using the same laptop for a few years with the same configuration without any utility update.  As of this week, EOS will open normally and Live View will come up, but after about 4-6 minutes, the "live view" window goes white with a red X and the software stops responding entirely.  Camera will continue to record though. I have to kill the app using task manager.  

I tried the following thus far:

Uninstalled and installed the most recent version. 

Updated the camera firmware.

Made sure Windows had all updates.

Uninstalled and tried multiple older versions of the software, as many versions are listed under 80D.

The last thing I can think of is maybe there is trouble with the cord, which I cannot check until I get a replacement, OR a strange USB connection issue.  Has anybody experienced this?  If so, maybe it will lead to a solution to allow me to use Live View again successfully.  

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I suggest you call Canon, thye can tell you whether it is behaving correctly or not.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Of course, check your USB cable.  Be sure to check this "app with no name" to see if it has been recently updated.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the quick response.  I will update if I find the issue. I cannot find an App without a name, but I did uninstall a few applications I no longer needed. I am recording without the laptop for now, but I will test again when I get a new cable today.  Crossing my fingers it is the cable and not something in Windows 10, an update or something.  

Sandy

"  As of this week, EOS will open normally and Live View will come up, but after about 4-6 minutes, the "live view" window goes white with a red X and the software stops responding entirely."

What is the "app with no name"?  The sentence above.  What software stops respondng?  Live View neither records video, nor transmits a video stream out of the HDMI port.

If you see a Red X, then you have not been doing this very long.  The EOS WebCam Utiltiy is less than a year old,  That is the only Canon that produces the Red X that I am aware of.

The software that stops responding is the actual EOS Utility software.  It just locks up.  Interestingly enough, I spent some time setting it up for Wireless usage. I was able to use that once for about 10 minutes before it locked up, which is telling me the problem has to do with the something other than the cable.  Sorry for the confusion.  The problem software entirely is EOS Utility 3.x, which is the version I need with the Canon 80D.  

I am recording to the SD card on the camera. I am not using a HDMI port.  I just want to see the screen as I am recording the video, to make sure my hands do not wander off, if happens occasionally.  

I never stated it was the webcam utility. That is why it is has been so difficult to find help on this.  Most of what I search for references the webcam utility.  It is the EOS Utility for cameras,which has been out for years.  I do not record live sessions. It is all recorded and and I piece together and edit my video content after the fact. 

@cutty3d wrote:

The software that stops responding is the actual EOS Utility software.  It just locks up.  Interestingly enough, I spent some time setting it up for Wireless usage. I was able to use that once for about 10 minutes before it locked up, which is telling me the problem has to do with the something other than the cable.  Sorry for the confusion.  The problem software entirely is EOS Utility 3.x, which is the version I need with the Canon 80D.  

I am recording to the SD card on the camera. I am not using a HDMI port.  I just want to see the screen as I am recording the video, to make sure my hands do not wander off, if happens occasionally.  

I never stated it was the webcam utility. That is why it is has been so difficult to find help on this.  Most of what I search for references the webcam utility.  It is the EOS Utility for cameras,which has been out for years.  I do not record live sessions. It is all recorded and and I piece together and edit my video content after the fact. 

The Canon EOS Utlity Software does not record anything, neither stills or video.  It never has, and I doubt it ever will.

Although I am happy somebody is trying to help me, I did not say it was recording.  I said I used it to "VIEW" the live recording on my laptop while I am recording. Of course, it is recording on the SD card.  It continues to record, but I want to use the view on the computer.  I am sure others are using it, as it is main feature of this software.  I hit record from it and it is hooked via USB or wireless and starts recording. I guess nobody else has this trouble, so I will configure on another laptop.  My gut is telling me it is Windows updates or a driver update on the laptop I am using.  

I suggest you call Canon, thye can tell you whether it is behaving correctly or not.

Announcements