cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility Live View with Timer Shooting

MichaelTeoh
Contributor

I wonder what's the reason the timer shooting won't work with live view.

Is this a software limitation or hardware related?

When we operate the camera physically, showing live view on the LCD screen, we can use the timer or an intervalometer with no issue. But when we try to do the same using the EOS Utility, it just can't. You have to close the live view in order for the timer or intervalometer to work.

16 REPLIES 16

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Which camera model?  What type of computer?  

Please provide enough information for someone to test and reproduce your observations.  Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

MichaelTeoh
Contributor
Canon 60D, EOS Utility 2.14, Desktop PC / Laptop.

@MichaelTeoh wrote:
Canon 60D, EOS Utility 2.14, Desktop PC / Laptop.

Not enough information.  What about the intervalometer?  Is that something that is plugged into the camera?

I am going to take a wild guess.  The camera is connected to the EOS Utility, which is in Remote Shooting mode.  However, you are trying to fire the shutter with something that is plugged directly into the camera.  Do you see where this is going?

I would bet you lunch that the shutter button doesn't work, either, when the camera is in Remote Shooting mode.  In fact, the only button that I would expect to work in Remote Shooting mode would be the [ON-OFF] switch.

There are three situations here:

1. Displaying the live view window on EOS Utility and shooting with EOS Utility

All the on-screen controls are operational except the timer, which is greyed out. You can take single shot wih the on-screen shutter button. But in order to use the timer, you have to close the live view window.

2. Displaying the live view window on EOS Utility and shooting with an Intervalometer plugged in to the remote control terminal

The intervalometer will not trigger the camera. In order for it to do so, you have to close the live view window.

3. Displaying the live view window on EOS Utility and shooting with a wireless remote control

No problem.

This issue is not something new. I am just curious if it is a software issue with the EOS Utility or a hardware issue with the camera design.

The workaround I came across is to use a smartphone app to control the camera instead of the EOS Utility or a cabled intervalometer. But unfortunately 60D doesn't have wifi connection, so this workaround is not applicable to me.

Timer shooting appears to be disabled with the EOS Utility 2  However, it does appear to work with the EOS Utility 3 and DPP4, which only works with EOSU 3, not EOSU 2.

[EDIT] I did not use a remote switch, just the remote shooting software.

MichaelTeoh
Contributor
I believe this could be both hardware and software issue.

Software wise, is that the EOSU 2 disabled the timer shooting while live view is open.

Hardware wise, I’ve tried to use the camera as “webcam” or video source for FB live, but as long as the USB port is in use, the remote control terminal can’t be used at the same time.

@MichaelTeoh wrote:
I believe this could be both hardware and software issue.

Software wise, is that the EOSU 2 disabled the timer shooting while live view is open.

Hardware wise, I’ve tried to use the camera as “webcam” or video source for FB live, but as long as the USB port is in use, the remote control terminal can’t be used at the same time.

That does not mean that anything is working improperly.  The only issue that I see is that it does not do what you want.

MichaelTeoh
Contributor
I’m sure this is not an issue at all for 99.99% of all EOS Utility users, as not many would need to take shot with timer while the live view is being displayed.

I am just being curious to know the technical reason behind it, i.e. why the timer shooting has to be disabled, or why the remote control terminal can’t be used together with the USB port.

@MichaelTeoh wrote:
I’m sure this is not an issue at all for 99.99% of all EOS Utility users, as not many would need to take shot with timer while the live view is being displayed.

I am just being curious to know the technical reason behind it, i.e. why the timer shooting has to be disabled, or why the remote control terminal can’t be used together with the USB port.

I agree.  It is not an issue for 99.99% of all EOS Utility users.  It is just an issue for you.  

It does not matter what the technical reason behind it is.  It is not going to be changed anything soon, if ever.  I am sure the software development team for the EOS Utility 2 was broken up many years ago, in order to focus attention on the EOS Utility 3.  

It is what it is.  Camera electronics have changed dramatically over the last decade.  No doubt, you camera has technology that is at least 15 years old.  I don't care what year it was released, either.  Development begins years before release.

As for why the buttons and controls appear to be disabled when the camera is remote shooting mode goes.....I believe that is the fundamental definition of remote shooting.  What do you think?

Announcements