cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility Compatibility with EOS 7D and EOS 20D

A_Random_Dude
Enthusiast

Hi there:

I've installed EOS Utility, and had no issues whatsoever bringing in photos from my 1DX Mark III into the folder I specified.

My question is, if I connect my 7D and 20D (having bought them used, I don't have the necessary cables yet; those should be here this week), will EOS Utility work with those cameras as well? Or are there specific versions of Utility for specific cameras?

Thanks in advance!

300D, 20D, 7D Mk II, 1DX Mk III, R6 Mk II, a few decent lenses, and plenty of questions. Also, a fair amount of impatience to get my hands on the 200-800 RF…
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You won’t find V2 on the site. But 3.13.3 should install V3 and V2. Did you look in the folder Canon Utilities->EOS Utility? Should be a folder for EOSU3 and EOSU2. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

That would definitely be convenient. I'll check later and report my findings. Thanks!

300D, 20D, 7D Mk II, 1DX Mk III, R6 Mk II, a few decent lenses, and plenty of questions. Also, a fair amount of impatience to get my hands on the 200-800 RF…

I think that's the case. But I seem to recall having some degree of difficulty trying to install it in Win10. Like it would "mostly" install but didn't have full functionality. You may see directions that indicate that you need to uninstall all prior versions first. But try as I might I could never get it to work the way I expected it to. And it would never recognize my old EOS Rebel, though that might have been a USB or Win10 issue.

While I've used Macs exclusively at home for a couple of decades now, I do seem to recall never having an issue connecting my original 300D up to my MacBook via USB, like when I was on vacation and just wanted to get the shots out of the camera and into the computer. However, I was on vacation in England in early August, and had my 300D with me, and it didn't seem to want to connect at all. Of course, I didn't/don't have EOS Utility installed on my MBP, so that might have been the issue. Or, the fact that the camera's 20 years old. In my case, I'm mainly interested in the most efficient way to get the files from camera to computer. I agree with one of the posters who said that CF cards can be fragile and thus my thinking of going via Utility, or just USB if the cameras mounted like hard drives. However, they don't really seem to just yet, and I haven't researched the issue enough.

A_Random_Dude
Enthusiast

Well, it appears to be bloody useless. First, the current version of Utility is 3.16.11 while the older version is 0.1.30, and if I connect the 7D, I get an error to update to version 2. However, I can't seem to find that version anywhere on Canon's site. (I did find a version 2 on the Canon Singapore site, but I couldn't even install it on Catalina.) If I connect the 7D to version 3, it just says the camera isn't recognized, though Mac Photos does see the camera (but I don't use Photos, because I hate it). In either case, the 20D isn't recognized by anything, so I guess I'll have to stick with the USB card reader after all.

You won’t find V2 on the site. But 3.13.3 should install V3 and V2. Did you look in the folder Canon Utilities->EOS Utility? Should be a folder for EOSU3 and EOSU2. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

A_Random_Dude
Enthusiast

A_Random_Dude_0-1696375460127.png

There's what the folder looks like. The EOS Utility in the center column is version 0.1.30, and version 3 is in the right column. No sign of version 2.

A_Random_Dude
Enthusiast

I assume 3.16.11.1 is the current version; I downloaded it just yesterday, and there's no sign of anything resembling 2 in the package.

I stated that you need to download and install 3.13.3. It is the latest version that will install V3 and V2. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

A_Random_Dude
Enthusiast

My apologies. I'll look for that version and see what happens.

Looks like you’re on a Mac. Try Monterey macOS. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements