cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Firmware Update 1.8.1 dmg for Mac will not open

edshanahan
Apprentice

I downloaded the file and could not get it to open on my hard drive.  I figured maybe it was corrupted in the download, so deleted it, rebooted my machine and downloaded it again.  I still can not get the dmg file to expand/decompress.

This is the first update where I have had this issue. In prior updates I have clicked the dmg and it decompressed fine. I am running Mac Ventura 13.2.1 on a 2021 Apple Pro (M1 chip). I have tried all the hacks I can find in the Canon Community to no avail. And I have never had this happen before. Any suggestions? Maybe the release does not work on Ventura even though it says it should? Tx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

edshanahan
Apprentice

A colleague in the Canon R5 FB group was able to answer this.  Apparently the decompressed file was put in a place called Locations.  I have no idea where that is or why it was put there, but was able to copy the .fir file to my card and am ready to go.  

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

edshanahan
Apprentice

A colleague in the Canon R5 FB group was able to answer this.  Apparently the decompressed file was put in a place called Locations.  I have no idea where that is or why it was put there, but was able to copy the .fir file to my card and am ready to go.  

I have the same problem, (using M1 Mac on Ventura). Download does not appear to be compressed, system only offers 'compression' and not "uncompress". Download copies onto SD card (formatted in camera) but when trying to update camera just keeps saying "Memory Card containing firmware is required to update". The camera will use the card to record images so the card is being recognised but it will not see the firmware, never had this before and have tried about 5 different cards. Have tried going back to successive updates but still won't work. Currently on 1.5.2 originally trying to load 1.8.1 but also tried 1.6.0 and 1.7.0 as well.

OK within a minute of finally posting I solved it. Apologies to anyone wasting tike reading this. 'Duh, duh, Dummy' moment but it seems I am not alone so in case it helps anyone else ...... It wasn't decompressing that was needed but the downloaded .dmg 'file' needs opening to reveal a .fir file and a pdf explanation of the procedure. Only the .fir file needs copying to the memory card and then of course the camera will recognise it. I am old enough to play the 'age excuse' card 🙂 Sorry again.

I have finally managed to update firmware after reading this, so Thank you for posting!! 😊😊

Gsaunders
Apprentice

I am using Mac OS Monterey 12.6.  the dmg file looks like it is opening but does not extract any files.  I have search my file system and I have nothing called locations and searching for a .fir file finds nothing.  Where did you fine the .fir file to be able to move it to the card?

"Locations" isn't a folder, it's just one of the categories you should see on the left side of the Finder window (like "Favorites", "iCloud" etc.).  The firmware file may be listed there, or you may need to go into the item that corresponds to your computer name.

As Abhlabs indicated it appears in this section of your finder window.  I had no clue and do not really know where it stored the data, but I was able to retrieve it and copy it to an SD card.

edshanahan_0-1680460441133.png

We recommend calling so someone can walk you through this process. Support is available Monday through Friday from 9am to 9pm (ET) and Saturday from 8am to 7pm (ET) at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666).

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Open Finder Preferences, enable the "Hard Disks" check box.  

shadowsports_0-1679949980424.png

Re-run the download.  It will appear on your desktop. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements