cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dpp4.exe won't run

dstall
Contributor

I need some help.  I downloaded files direct from canon support ....extracted/installed Dpp4 but it will not execute 14.16.11.0.  All other files I downloaded work fine (Picture Style Editor, EOS registration, webcam), however, upon selecting to run the dpp4.exe the black pop up with Digital Photo Professional Canon shows up and just sits there....I've deinstalled rebooted/reinstalled/ ran /scannow as well as various command type health checks with no integrity issues.  I've seen other posts with this issue...but I'm not sure I found a resolution posted yet that works for me.  Win10 Pro - x64 build 19044.2130.  

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you running the software on a home brewed platform running an AMD chipset?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

no. not home brewed and not AMD chipset.  Intel

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please reply to Waddizzles question when you can.

Also:

Have you looked at your System Event Viewer for potential errors

We've also recently seen issues with DPP when it cannot read windows explorer folder structure correctly.  Do you have a large number of folders which already contain images?

Did a previous version of the software work?

Was this an upgrade or a first time DPP install?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Laptop is not home brewed. Dpp4 v4.10.0 works...but cannot read R7 raws so had to upgrade to the 4.16.11, v4.10.0 wouldn't update to the 4.16.11 so I had to download separately.

dstall
Contributor

and yes...I do have a large number of folders which already contain images.

dstall
Contributor

thanks all for the feedback...I'll move the pics off and try all over again...not sure why Dpp 4.10 could read the directory fine, yet 4.16 could not..but worth the shot

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Your inability to upgrade on top of 4.10.x indicates a problem existed prior to the later update attempt.

Please see the following:

Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed (microsoft.com)

I've used this many times to root out unexplainable uninstall and or software upgrade issues.

I'd start by uninstalling DPP.  Now run the MS utility and allow it to scan.  Tell it you are having an issue uninstalling DPP if this can be selected.  If not found, the utility will still check the registry for orphaned or incorrect values.  After it runs, restart and attempt to install 4.16.11 straight away.

Please post your results.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

dstall
Contributor

thanks Rick. I'll give it a try.

Thank Rick.

After uninstalling DPP4, I was unable to run MS troubleshooter to get to the root.
Nothing came up with DPP or Canon, so I tried unlisted, but I didn't have a product code. Yet, what I did find provides me a temporary fix to view my SD raw files.  The executable for DPP4 loaded by default to the C: Program Files\Canon directory.
I renamed the directory to "xxCanon" to get to the Dpp4.exe where I was able to run and bring up the the menu for Dpp4.16.  While poking around to see what might be different, I did notice that in the Permissions for Administrators & Users it lists an option for "List folder contents" but this is not found when Dpp4 was under the under the Program FIles\Canon folder...so perhaps this is a permissions issue created under the canon defaulted install where it does not allow?....I was thinking about your info on "recently seen issues with DPP when it cannot read windows explorer folder structure correctly." I have brain drain right now...so will research when I can to see if MS provides a work around to permit from the programs folder....thanks again for working with me on this

Announcements