cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you delete your CR2s?

John_SD
Whiz

What do you all do with your CR2s after you've worked them, applied edits and so forth and finally created your JPGs that you're satisfied with? For all practical purposes, let's say that you are done with your CR2 files. I've been keeping my CR2 files after I work them, thinking that in the future, I may want to rework them, but they take up a lot of space. I have been sorely tempted to start deleting those CR2s that I feel confident I am done with, which would free up a lot of space. Do you delete yours?

14 REPLIES 14

Peter
Authority

I only delete the bad ones, unfocused etc. Bought a new 8TB harddrive.

JohnSD,

 

+1 to what Peter does...  "just the bad ones"  I have a QNAP NAS 12TB of storage.  Sure, its a smll invenstment, but if you look at it over the course of several years and how it keeps your memories safe, its a no brainer.  Small priice to pay in the long run.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~R5C (1.0.1.1) ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra
~ImageClass MF644Cdw ~Pixel6 
~6D2 (v1.1.1) retiring


@shadowsports wrote:

JohnSD,

 

+1 to what Peter does...  "just the bad ones"  I have a QNAP NAS 12TB of storage.  Sure, its a smll invenstment, but if you look at it over the course of several years and how it keeps your memories safe, its a no brainer.  Small priice to pay in the long run.   


Keeps your memories safe? You mean until the moment the cheap retail drive fails and your memories go "bye-bye"? And it's not a matter of if, but when. Go with Backblaze or something similar instead of trusting cheap retail China junk.

 

The really good CR2s should be worked, converted, printed and made conveniently available to loved ones to whom it would matter. Those CR2s I can see hanging on to, if one is so inclined, but I am finding that once converted and backed up to a reliable medium, what is the point of saving the original CR2? That is what hoarders would do, and it makes little sense. Now, if one is a pro with paying clients, I can see saving the CR2s. But for the average enthusiast who obsessively saves every crappy CR2 he has? Doesn't make sense. Just keep the really good ones. That would eliminate about 95 percent of the rest. 

 

I am increasingly avoiding the hoarder mentality and the associated view that all personal CR2s are like priceless artifacts that must be saved. I regularly delete mine, other than the ones I've worked and converted. YMMV. 

 

EDIT: I might add that while it is easy to delete CR2s that are poorly shot to begin with, the real issue is what to do with the CR2s that have been worked and converted. I am leaning toward deleting almost all of them. After working and converting them to the point of satisfaction, what is the point of saving the RAW images? They take up a lot of space.  

 


@John_SD wrote:

@shadowsports wrote:

JohnSD,

 

+1 to what Peter does...  "just the bad ones"  I have a QNAP NAS 12TB of storage.  Sure, its a smll invenstment, but if you look at it over the course of several years and how it keeps your memories safe, its a no brainer.  Small priice to pay in the long run.   


Keeps your memories safe? You mean until the moment the cheap retail drive fails and your memories go "bye-bye"? And it's not a matter of if, but when. Go with Backblaze or something similar instead of trusting cheap retail China junk.

 

The really good CR2s should be worked, converted, printed and made conveniently available to loved ones to whom it would matter. Those CR2s I can see hanging on to, if one is so inclined, but I am finding that once converted and backed up to a reliable medium, what is the point of saving the original CR2? That is what hoarders would do, and it makes little sense. Now, if one is a pro with paying clients, I can see saving the CR2s. But for the average enthusiast who obsessively saves every crappy CR2 he has? Doesn't make sense. Just keep the really good ones. That would eliminate about 95 percent of the rest. 

 

I am increasingly avoiding the hoarder mentality and the associated view that all personal CR2s are like priceless artifacts that must be saved. I regularly delete mine, other than the ones I've worked and converted. YMMV. 

 

EDIT: I might add that while it is easy to delete CR2s that are poorly shot to begin with, the real issue is what to do with the CR2s that have been worked and converted. I am leaning toward deleting almost all of them. After working and converting them to the point of satisfaction, what is the point of saving the RAW images? They take up a lot of space.  

 


JohnSD,

Very funny.  I already know all hardware fails...  which is why have redundancy, multiple back ups, replication and on site off site storage...  The "ill equipped and unprepared" that’s not me.  When hardware fails, its nothing more than a minor inconvenience...  I have spare disks sitting around that I can hot swap into the environment.  Bet you can guess what I do for a living.  You want me to go on?  I don't think I need to. 

 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~R5C (1.0.1.1) ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra
~ImageClass MF644Cdw ~Pixel6 
~6D2 (v1.1.1) retiring


@John_SD wrote:

What do you all do with your CR2s after you've worked them, applied edits and so forth and finally created your JPGs that you're satisfied with? For all practical purposes, let's say that you are done with your CR2 files. I've been keeping my CR2 files after I work them, thinking that in the future, I may want to rework them, but they take up a lot of space. I have been sorely tempted to start deleting those CR2s that I feel confident I am done with, which would free up a lot of space. Do you delete yours?


Save the CR2s; they're where the original information is. If you're going to delete anything, delete the JPEGs. Just make sure you have at least two levels of backup, in addition to the original.

 

The space the CR2s take is irrelevant. The last time I bought an 8TB hard drive, it cost about $200.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"The space the CR2s take is irrelevant. The last time I bought an 8TB hard drive, it cost about $200."

 

This has been my philosophy.  However lately I have questioned myself if it is rational?   6 drives now!  Close to 400,000 photos (just the last 17 years).  Who will ever go through them or even want to?  The ones that are relevant to me or my family are already out and into their hands.  My clients already have their media whether a print or digital file. I am getting closer to pulling the plug on those drives. I used to guarantee photos for 6 months.  Perhaps after the 6 month date they all get the file 13 treatment.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!


@ebiggs1 wrote:

"The space the CR2s take is irrelevant. The last time I bought an 8TB hard drive, it cost about $200."

 

This has been my philosophy.  However lately I have questioned myself if it is rational?   6 drives now!  Close to 400,000 photos (just the last 17 years).  Who will ever go through them or even want to?  The ones that are relevant to me or my family are already out and into their hands.  My clients already have their media whether a print or digital file. I am getting closer to pulling the plug on those drives. I used to guarantee photos for 6 months.  Perhaps after the 6 month date they all get the file 13 treatment.


Your reasoning is wise and sound, IMO. As a longtime pro with many clients, you likely had legitimate business reasons to retain those RAW files and whatnot over the years. But as you clearly observe, perhaps now a reasonable "expiration date" of 6 months would serve to eliminate those images that have long since served their purpose. 

 

As a mere amateur and enthusiast I have no such reason to retain hundreds of thousands of images, ever. I love photography, but I am my own worst critic, and even though I delete early and often, I am stil surprised at how much space my existing CR2s take up. I do not want to reach a point of becomming a hoarder like some of the guys. That is a serious condition that requires professional care. Thus, I am going thru my CR2s manually and deleting those that have been converted to my satisfaction. That approach works for me. 

" I have no such reason to retain hundreds of thousands of images..."

 

Ask yourself, who will want them and who will go through and sort them later on.  Be honest with yourself.  In my case I don't see anybody.  Maybe its sad but.....................

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!


@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I have no such reason to retain hundreds of thousands of images..."

 

Ask yourself, who will want them and who will go through and sort them later on.  Be honest with yourself.  In my case I don't see anybody.  Maybe its sad but.....................


It is not sad at all. One can have many loving family members and friends, but perhaps none would have the time or technical wherewithal to access and evaluate hundreds of thousands of client and personal photos. As you say, the photos that would be most meaningful to your family have been passed on to them already. That is a step that too many negliect, but you have seen to it. Kudos!

Announcements
06/10/2022: Service Notice:UPDATE: Canon Inkjet Printer continuous reboot loop or powering down
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.3.2 is available for PowerShot G7 X Mark III
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3 is available for EOS M50 Mark II
05/31/2022: Did someone SAY Badges?
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.5.1 is available for EOS-C500 Mark II
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C300 Mark III
05/10/2022: Keep your Canon gear in optimal condition with a Canon Maintenance Service
05/05/2022: We are excited to announce that we have refreshed the ranking scale within the community!
04/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1.1 is available for EOS R5 C
03/23/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C70
03/22/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for PowerShot PICK
03/16/2022: New firmware version 1.5.2 is available for EOS-R5
03/16/2022: New firmware version 1.5.2 is available for EOS-R6
02/09/2022: Share Your Photos is back!
02/07/2022: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for EOS-R3
02/07/2022: New firmware version 1.6.1 is available for EOS-1DX Mark III
01/19/2022: READY FOR ANYTHING EOS-R5 C
01/13/2022: Community Update. We will be retiring the legacy profile avatars on 01/20/2022. Click this link to read more.
01/05/2022: Welcome to CES 2022!
12/7/2021: New firmware version 1.3.0 is available for Mount Adapter EF-EOS R 0.71x
12/7/2021: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for CR-N 300
12/7/2021: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for CR-N 500
12/2/2021: New firmware version 1.1.0 is available for RF 70-200 F4 L IS USM