cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional and MacBook

FarmerDave
Apprentice

I have a new !!! EOS R6 Mark II.  I installed Digital Photo Professional on my MacBook Pro M2 (running OSX Ventura).  I have two questions:

1.  My camera downloads to Digital Photo Professional.  I would like to be able to download photos to Mac Photos also because that is where I archive photos, but can't figure out how to do that.  It would work if I could export photos from DPP to Photos, but DPP doesn't seem to want to do that.

2.  Is there a way to email photos from DPP?  In Photos, you just click a button and the email automatically generates, but DPP doesn't seem to want to do that.  I can't even attach a photo in DPP to an email.

What am I missing?

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@FarmerDave wrote:

I have a new !!! EOS R6 Mark II.  I installed Digital Photo Professional on my MacBook Pro M2 (running OSX Ventura).  I have two questions:

1.  My camera downloads to Digital Photo Professional.  I would like to be able to download photos to Mac Photos also because that is where I archive photos, but can't figure out how to do that.  It would work if I could export photos from DPP to Photos, but DPP doesn't seem to want to do that.

2.  Is there a way to email photos from DPP?  In Photos, you just click a button and the email automatically generates, but DPP doesn't seem to want to do that.  I can't even attach a photo in DPP to an email.

What am I missing?

Dave

Welcome Dave. You aren't missing anything about DPP4 capabilities. It just doesn't do what you want.

Here is a link to the manual for DPP:

cam.start.canon : For customers using the Digital Photo Professional

DPP is a file browser and photo editor; it does not download photos or store them inside of DPP.

Here is what DPP says about transferring images:

Screenshot 2023-04-27 112008.jpg

Since you are on a MacBook my guess is that the MacBook is defaulting to download images into the Apple Photo app. Apple Photos stores images in its own library, not easily accessible to other applications.

My suggestions are: 

1. I always use a card reader rather than direct connection to the camera. Either approach will work correctly, but I feel more secure not having my camera and computer sharing workspace to avoid knocking the camera off the desk. Note that some folks have trouble connecting EOS Utility to the computer and the Canon program notes state that EOS Utility will not connect via USB with macOS 13. (I do not have that problem, but my connection was established well before Ventura was installed on my computer. Ventura has introduced some strict permission requirements for USB accessories.)

2. when you connect the camera or card reader open the Apple application Image Capture. You can configure Image capture to be the default when the selected devices are connected.

3. Import the images into the folder of your choice.

4. Then you can use DPP to select the folder and access your images.

5. If you still have the other images on your card you can re-import using the above method.

6. If the images are no longer on your card you can follow these instructions:

Export photos, videos, slideshows and memories in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (AU)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

I hope some of this might help.

In Photos, you might go to File->Import and then browse to where DPP put the photos and select all of them or in Photos import the photos directly from the memory card by browsing to the computer name and then /Volumes and then the name of the memory card and then DCIM and then 100CANON, but these names can very slightly. For me right now it is "/Volumes/EOS_DIGITAL/DCIM/100CANON/".

I do not do things this way. I take the memory card out of the camera move the switch on the memory card to write protect and insert it into the card reader on my iMac. I have been using Unix style command prompts since 1984, so I open a terminal window and make a directory with the date as its name for DPP to save the files in. Once I have copied the files to all of the backup locations that I use then I format the memory card in the camera.

But, you could use finder to make a directory and use finder to copy the files and then let DPP browse to that directory for editing or let Apple Photos import them.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Duh.  Thanks, John.  I never considered just downloading the memory card.  I'll give it a try.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@FarmerDave wrote:

What am I missing?

Dave

Welcome Dave. You aren't missing anything about DPP4 capabilities. It just doesn't do what you want.

Here is a link to the manual for DPP:

cam.start.canon : For customers using the Digital Photo Professional

DPP is a file browser and photo editor; it does not download photos or store them inside of DPP.

Here is what DPP says about transferring images:

Screenshot 2023-04-27 112008.jpg

Since you are on a MacBook my guess is that the MacBook is defaulting to download images into the Apple Photo app. Apple Photos stores images in its own library, not easily accessible to other applications.

My suggestions are: 

1. I always use a card reader rather than direct connection to the camera. Either approach will work correctly, but I feel more secure not having my camera and computer sharing workspace to avoid knocking the camera off the desk. Note that some folks have trouble connecting EOS Utility to the computer and the Canon program notes state that EOS Utility will not connect via USB with macOS 13. (I do not have that problem, but my connection was established well before Ventura was installed on my computer. Ventura has introduced some strict permission requirements for USB accessories.)

2. when you connect the camera or card reader open the Apple application Image Capture. You can configure Image capture to be the default when the selected devices are connected.

3. Import the images into the folder of your choice.

4. Then you can use DPP to select the folder and access your images.

5. If you still have the other images on your card you can re-import using the above method.

6. If the images are no longer on your card you can follow these instructions:

Export photos, videos, slideshows and memories in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (AU)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

FarmerDave
Apprentice

Thanks, John.  Perfect.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements