cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional: Blue buffering spinning wheel and a flashing white cursor arrow

Dick_Davis
Contributor

I've been having a long-time ... 10 months?... issue with Version 4.18.10. Opening DPP up I get a combination of a blue buffering spinning wheel and a flashing white cursor arrow. This goes on for 4? minutes. I have to wait until it stops before I can begin editing. This will also appear during editing. Technical support has been ... unfortunately ... less than supportive. I just discovered the newer Ver4.19.10 version. I'm wondering if anyone has had this similar issue. Let's see what happens with the newer version. I've had a Canon camera for 60+ years and would be disappointed if I had to switch.  

26 REPLIES 26

FWIW, everyone has their way of working, but this is the way I've always done it with DPP and it works well for me:

I don't do auto downloads that make their own dated folders but prefer to download from the card in folders that I have already made. I make a "Pictures" directory on my C drive, then in that directory I make "year" subfolders. For each year, I will make a dated subfolder with a brief description (the date my photos were shot or dumped) with a numeric prefix (1, 2, 3, etc.) which puts my folders in the order of the download. For each dated subfolder, I make RAW and Edits subfolders as I download.  As the year changes, I make that year the "Default" folder in DPP. When I open DPP 4, it opens to the year, so a quick scroll gets me to my downloaded Raw files. This isn't as labor intensive as it sounds 🙂

I've been using DPP for a long time on various Windows computers back to XP. The only slow part of DPP that I experience is when converting my edited Raw files to JPeG or Tiff or its focus stacking, but I am willing to wait as the results are always great. I do always get the best systems when computer shopping, so that could make a difference (lots of RAM, latest CPU, fast bus, fast disc drives, etc.). IIRC, I experienced a "spinning wheel" a long time ago, and it turned out to be a picture sharing app that I had installed which was looking for images every so often. Deleted it, problem solved. I think that was my first post to this forum back in 2014 🙂

Example of my directory structure.

DPP 4 Start  Folder-1.jpg

Newton

TY FLORIDADRAFTER ... I make "YEAR / MONTH" folders. Been working fine for me. The issue I'm having is the editing part. Hopefully v4.19.10 will help. Thanks again

@Dick_Davis wrote:

"Hopefully v4.19.10 will help."

Maybe, but I didn't notice any speed difference. I think they primarily updated DPP to accommodate the R1 and R5 II, at least that's the feel I get 🙂

Newton

TY FloridaDrafter, have not tried it yet

March411
Rising Star

As Waddizzle noted the start up folder can set the speed for the software, when it loads a ton of images it doesn't run as smoothly. Another way to achieve the goal is to do as Waddizzle suggests and point your start folder to an empty directory or one with minimal content. 

Once the folder is created in the DPP menu go to tools/preferences/general settings and at the top you will see startup folder. Chose specified folder and browse to your empty directory/folder, select it and save.

Personally I save images by the day they are captured and attempt to keep them reasonable in size. All my post production software loads better with the managed size.

No trees were destroyed in the posting of this message. However, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

TY March 411.

Dick_Davis
Contributor

Just a big "Thank you" to those of you who responded to my first question about DPP to this community. You have encouraged me. 

Announcements