cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP4 Crash after update

apk2
Contributor

I have used DPP4 for many years. When I upgrade to either V16.11 or V17.10 from V12.60 it immediately crashes on open. If I uninstall V16.11 or V 17.10 and reinstall V 12.60 it works. I have cleaned the registry after uninstall etc etc. Windows 10, intel i7, 32GB RAM. All other software (LrC, PS, DxO, etc.) work fine.

Any help here?

11 REPLIES 11

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello apk2,

The only difference I see in the installation guidelines is that for the later versions, .NET Framework 7.1 or later is required and should install with the DPP install. I would verify that this piece of Microsoft software is installed as well on the computer.

Net Frame 4.8.1 is installed.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings apk2,

In addition to John_Q's suggestion,  please try reviewing the System Event Viewer for specific information regarding the application crash or error.

Occasionally, we have seen DPP crash after upgrade when it cannot read the media or files in a folder.  You can also try starting the system in SAFE mode or testing under another user profile.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I will give these suggestions a try. Thanks

No joy.

davidjt52
Apprentice

I've had crashing of DPP4.17.20. After about an hour of researching and then hunting on my machine, I narrowed my issue down to a problem recent versions of DPP4 have with TIF files. By trial and error elimination, I determined that these temp transfer files (left by other apps such as Capture One and DXO PhotoLab when using Topaz apps as plugins) cause DPP4 to crash upon opening before the UI is enabled. I deleted the TIF file(s) and all is happy again. I'd classify this as a bug - I'm a retired app developer and coder among other things IT-related for ~45 years. Just my 2¢ worth.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks, this confirms what I was referring to.  It has been one of the primary causes for app failure or unexpected closure once the folder is selected where bad, corrupt or unexpected file types are encountered.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

davidjt52
Apprentice

Interesting. However, how do you determine if a TIF is "bad, corrupt or unexpected"? Said TIF files open perfectly in all my other apps (PS, LRc, all Topaz apps both as standalone and as plugins, Capture One, Luminar/Skylum (all versions), PaintShop, etc. I have all of them and they all function with these TIFs. Only DPP4 crashes as described.

@davidjt52 wrote:

Interesting. However, how do you determine if a TIF is "bad, corrupt or unexpected"? Said TIF files open perfectly in all my other apps (PS, LRc, all Topaz apps both as standalone and as plugins, Capture One, Luminar/Skylum (all versions), PaintShop, etc. I have all of them and they all function with these TIFs. Only DPP4 crashes as described.

What software crated the TIFFs in the first place?

There have been other reports of problems with DPP4 and TIFF and JPEG files. After getting various posts and checks all the reported problems were encountered with files that were edited with other software before trying with DPP.

Even though DPP says it can edit JPEG and TIFF files I think the implied caveat needs to be JPEG and TIFF files that were created by DPP.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements