cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP "Cannot start RAW movie tool" on R5 CRM

fullest_rasps
Contributor

I want to open a Canon RAW video from EOS R5 in Digital Photo Professional 4 but I'm getting a "Cannot start RAW movie tool. Check the operating environment." error message.

I'm running DPP 4.17.30 on macOS Ventura 13.4.1 on a 16gig M1 Mac Mini, but I am getting this message on an (admittedly underpowered) Windows 10 HP i3 8gig laptop as well.

Another thread referenced environment requirements, but it would be good to know what specs does my machine fail in actuality, and if RAW movie tool is supported on Apple Silicon at all.

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 22.16.46.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My M2 Max 16" MacBook Pro with 32 GB gives the same error.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Trying to get this reply in the right place.

My 2020 27" 5K iMac, 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB, 40 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 will run the Raw Movie Tool on Ventura. I believe that's the highest specification video card for that generation of Mac. I'm not really well versed in the different hardware specifications. I bought it as a refurb in 2021 and it's a great machine for everything else I do.

@IthacaNY wrote:

My 2020 27" 5K iMac, 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB, 40 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 will run the Raw Movie Tool on Ventura. I believe that's the highest specification video card for that generation of Mac. I'm not really well versed in the different hardware specifications. I bought it as a refurb in 2021 and it's a great machine for everything else I do.

Your intel iMac meets/exceeds the requirements listed, with both over 32gb of ram and separate vram, so it better run Raw Movie Tool 😉 

@fullest_rasps wrote:

@IthacaNY wrote:

Your intel iMac meets/exceeds the requirements listed, with both over 32gb of ram and separate vram, so it better run Raw Movie Tool 😉 

IMG_1953.jpeg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

The notes for DPP 4.18 do not state that Apple Silicon is supported for Raw Movie Tool

This is a very good point.

@IthacaNY wrote:

My M2 Max 16" MacBook Pro with 32 GB gives the same error.

While this is disappointing it is the most valuable answer to me, basically meaning that even getting a Mac Studio (32gb), which I considered, will not let me run this software.

Yes, I would have thought that my M2 16" MacBook Pro would have been a high enough spec machine to be able to run it. I guess I never saw the requirements page for the software. Ironic that my older 2020 iMac can. That is turning out to be a great purchase. It wasn't inexpensive, even as a 1 year old refurb.

thephotochad
Apprentice

This thread is very helpful. Just downloaded the DPP tool myself for my R5 and I'm seeing the same message: "Cannot Start RAW movie tool check the operating environment." I'm working with a Windows 11 (22H2 version) with 32GB of RAM.

Not a shabby computer on my end, but even with just the DPP tool running by itself, it still throws this error. Thoughts?

IthacaNY
Contributor

I have an M2 Max 16 inch MacBook Pro. It gives me the same "Cannot Start RAW movie tool check the operating environment" message. I also have a 2020 27" iMac. It's an 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Graphics, AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB, with 40GB of ram. It will run the RAW movie tool. I think the problem is the software just doesn't run on Apple Silicon Macs.

Announcements