cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP and DLO

digital
Rising Star

Hey Canon. Why can't I update DLO for my new 24-70 2.8 II? I have had it for over 16 months. My 70-200 2.8 II works. 

10 REPLIES 10

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I see the EF 24-70 2.8L II on the list when I check mine.  

You're going into DPP, opening at least one image (because I noticed the menu is grayed out if you don't open an image) and checking getting into the "Update..." menu on the "Lens Data" section?

The only lens I have that's missing DLO data is the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM (original... not the "II"  I seem to have odd luck in buying lenses. My 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, and 300 2.8 were all rev'd to "II" versions within about a year of me buying them.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

It's on the list as are my other lenses, I checked it and tried to download it. It is not Canon. Something is corrupt.

All my other lens show a checkmark after updating

Untitled-2.jpg 

The 24-70 is just in bold with no checkmark. It shows up in the EXIF data. I may have to re-install.  

Untitled.jpg

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You do have the latest version?  You know you can't use it on jpegs? 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes. I update on a regular basis and I am resting with RAW images.

If you decide to re-install it, make sure you completely remove ALL of it.

EB

How do I do that? I'm going take screen shots of my preferance pages as well. 

"How do I do that?" Smiley Surprised

This gives me a little notion of caution. So, I will say just make sure the DPP folder is completely deleted.

I am not a DPP user. After trying it several years ago and playing around in it from time to time, I quickly realized Lightroom is so much better. 

EB

I guess I'm going to finish this. "How do I do that" was a reference to completely deleting DPP. Mac creates playlists and after some issues on another thread that we chatted about where DPP crashed after updates I did find a few from internet searches about the problem. Even deleting these playlists did not help.

I did drag the entire Canon Utilities folder into the trash and APP delete came up with about 15 items to delete so that worked fine. I just thought there was something else sitll in the backround. Turned out mavericks 10.9.1 was messing around with DPP 3.13.51. Downlowing 10.8 OSX DPP update from Canon solved the problem even though my system runs 10.9.1.

I was a die hard DPP user for years. Switched to LR a few years ago when Adobe added camera profiles and improved their color. Great for mass edtis. Love the export page. For hobby shots I use DPP or ACR (mostly ACR these days) becuase I have my own sharpening and resizing actions that I can't use with LR or DPP.  All my hobby shots wind up in PS.

I still like to use DPP to pre view and delete non keepers. I have found no other program that looks as good as quick check at full screen size. Can't beat the clarity. Good for focus lock info and complete EXIF data, etc Then just import the good shots into LR or open a few I'm going to work on with ACR.             

I use this the output sharpening for my hobby shots in PS.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/photoshop-really-smart-sharpening.html?search=edge+mask&boo...

I guess there isn't anything really wrong with DPP and I suppose this is just a difference in personal preferences.

It makes the world go around.

I even keep DPP updated pretty often although I don't use very much but just to see if there are improvements. So far, I see LR 5 as the best, for me, anyway. LR is so seamless with CS6, that is just goes together better, again for me.

One thing, there isn't any healing brush in DPP like LR 5. Sometimes LR is as far as a photo needs to go before printing or sent to the client.

To each his own and I hope you get it to work for you.

EB
Announcements