cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R6 mark II - eos utility does not recognize the camera

pluis
Apprentice

I have the new EOS R6 mark II. I also installed the EOS utility from Canon's website ( w3.15.20.4, dated 4 jul 2022).
When I connect the camera via USB the utility starts but finally responds with "camera is not recognized". I tried several USB/USB-c cables.
For comparison I checked whether the utility (v3) is working for my 5D mark III, and it does.
I also tried the utility via wifi connect. Initially it starts and there seems to be a connection, but then it says again "camera is not recognized".
While connected via USB my computer explorer seems the camera as a drive and I can see the contents of the SD-card. But my computer does not recognize the camera via the EOS utility.
Could it be that I need a newer version of the utility, assuming this very new Canon model might not be included yet in the definitions of the utility?
After details: I have a DELL XPS13, Windows 11,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You need to download 3.16 version.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Michaelgrey0369
Apprentice

so i tried what u said, set my autoplay to take no action. I am hooking directly to laptop to the USB-c port using a TetheredPro cable. No difference. Once i turned on the camera, i start EOSU and it finds camera, but then a few seconds later connection lost. (literally brand new camera (EOS R60, brand new TehterPro cable and new laptop) 

How long is your cable?  Try a different cable, six feet or less, two meters or less.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I would definitely try other cables, as mentioned, just to rule it out. 

Check device manager and see what it's showing up as. If it's under "portable devices" as an mpt device, you're having a similar issue as me. You could try to update the drivers manually, as that seems to have helped some people. There's a YouTube video outlining this process if you search for "canon no connection mtp update". Maybe that will help.

You can also go to start/settings/devices & printers, and see if it shows up as the generic "Canon camera" or of it actually shows the model. That might reveal something to help get you in the right direction. 

You can try removing the device by opening start and searching device manager and see if it reinitializes properly once it's removed. 

Another thing to make sure of is that you're running the right version of EOS Utility. Version 3 doesn't add a shortcut or start menu item. You have to manually find it in the folder and create a shortcut (Idk why). There are videos for that too! My R won't connect through the older versions that are default.

A wild guess of something that might help if all else fails is to try a USB "on the go" aka USB OTG adapter. Idk why this would help, but neither do I know why thr hub worked for me. Seems altering the USB protocol did something in my case, and might for others such as yourself. Unlikely, but I would have said the same of the usb hub. 

MIchael5
Apprentice

I have version 3.17.0.5 and the same issue same camera. The closest I came to figuring it out is the USB driver in the camera is faulty or lacking. My Windows 11 computer recognizes the camera but notes driver not available. So I bought a card reader to transfer my photos. EOS Utility continues to work via USB with my 5D Mark IV. I spent a good long while with Canon Support and was advised to contact Microsoft. Oh well

Does the R6 have a USB-C data port? If so, is your cable a data cable? I had problems with my 1D X Iii connecting until I used a data cable. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements