cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Connect - Canon R6 Mark II - Location Information not transferring.

wckdtall
Contributor

I have been using Canon Connect to look at my photos, which all appear to have a white satellite icon on them within the app. From what I understand, transferring the photos via Wifi does not transfer the location info. I have tried an SD to lightning dongle direct to my phone, as well as hooking the camera up to usb-c to my mac and using image capture, but the location information never seems to be transferred. I started trying to use mobile file transfer because it's icon says tag and transfer, I'm just not sure how to get the location info on the images, or if they're not eligible now. I recall there used to be a logging function, that you had to hit before hand, but I haven't done that. Is there a way for me to tag locations automatically from my R6 Mark II to my photos?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I signed up just to agree with you. That Waddizzle is such a piece of work, very hostile and unhelpful. I could understand your issue from the very start, but possibly because I was having the same problem: the images show as having GPS in the Canon app, but there is no valid GPS data in the EXIF, no matter how you transfer the images. I've had plenty of experience viewing EXIF data (I've even written EXIF parsers myself), and no app, including Adobe ones, can't extract valid Lat/Lng info from the files. 

Here's what I found, speaking as an Android user. When you first install the Canon app, you only get the option to allow location access either Never or When using the app. In order for the app to be able to access location info even when it's not active (i.e. the app you're actually using), you need to go into the app's settings and change the location setting to Always. (You can do that in the Canon app using the Functions tab ->  Location Information tile.)

Once you've done that, before you start shooting, go into the app and make sure it's connected to the phone. (If, like me, you put the camera into Airplane mode before powering it down for a long time, you'll need to turn Airplane mode off, too.) From then, it should be possible to send the app to the background and still have it send location info to the camera, though it didn't seem to be 100% successful in my tests.

I don't know what the equivalent steps for an iPhone would be, sorry! 

ETA: Another thing to notice is that if you show the complete shooting information on  the camera's display, the GPS icon will flash if it's not receiving valid data from the app. In this case, just launch the app again and it should stop flashing.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have been using Canon Connect to look at my photos, which all appear to have a white satellite icon on them within the app.”

I do not understand what your issues are.  Your images appear to contain GPS data. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for confirming. What’s the preferred transfer method to keep the info in tact? I’m taking JPGs, which shouldn’t be an issue. Also not sure if there’s a way to view the recorded GPS info via connect which only has icons and not full meta.

@wckdtall wrote:

Thanks for confirming. What’s the preferred transfer method to keep the info in tact? I’m taking JPGs, which shouldn’t be an issue. Also not sure if there’s a way to view the recorded GPS info via connect which only has icons and not full meta.

Again.  I do not understand what the issue is.  You have indicated the files have GPS data associated with them, which is what the white icon means.

wckdtall
Contributor

Great. If anyone us familiar with this issue or how to read gps data in camera or within camera connect any help would be greatly appreciated.

wckdtall
Contributor

Firmware 1.2 was released but doesn’t appear to have fixed this GPS issue. 

How are you trying to read the EXIF data, which is where the GPS coordinates are stored?

Again, if the Canon app is displaying the GPS icon, then there is GPS data in the EXIF.

Neither iPhone nor 3rd party exif app show the location information, though they do for photos taken on iPhone. I’m pulling the GPS from my phone, and looked in the camera menu with the canon app running and it does pull correctly. I just looked in camera and while menu 10 shows GPS on “Playback Information Display”, it will not show up when scrolling through my photos. Tried enabling it as the only option and it doesn’t show.

I reached out to canon support and referenced this thread so hopefully there will be a fix.

You have an issue with the apps on your phone, not the camera.  Many generic third party apps that come free with your phone cannot fully read EXIF data.  

The Adobe Suite is an example of third party apps that can read it.

I do not understand what it that you expect Canon do about you not having an app on your phone that can read the EXIF data to the fullest extent.

Announcements