cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Camera Connect drops Wi-Fi connection to EOS 5D Mark IV

TeeO
Apprentice

So I've had my 5D about for years and never really had an issue connecting via wifi from my phone.  Controlling the camera from the phone and transferring photos to my phone from the camera both have worked fairly well with few glitches, usually just requiring a reconnect to the wifi.  Today, it won't connect.  Rather, it will connect to wifi but then when trying to use camera connect, it drops the wifi connection.  I reinstalled the app.  which didn't work.  I did an update on my phone, which didn't work.  I tried re-registering my camera in the app and now it won't get past the screen about reconnecting the wifi, although it says it's connected to the appropriate wifi.  No next button shows up.  Any ideas?  Is this an update issue that still needs to be fixed?

8 REPLIES 8

rs-eos
Elite

Did you recently get a new iPhone? Each time I have gotten a new one, I've had to completely clear out the settings in both the camera itself and Canon's Camera Connect app.  Then, create a brand new setup.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I got a new I phone in 2022.  It's been working fine since I got it.  I don't connect to my phone all the time.  Last connection was October '23 and it worked just fine.

TeeO
Apprentice

Deleted the camera/phone connection again in app and on the camera (3rd time), and re-connected it.  This time it worked.  No idea why it took 3 tries unless I missed a step somewhere that I'm unaware of...

I read your original thread and tried CameraConnect on my iPhone to see if it still worked.  It did not.  It's probably been 2 or 3 IOS updates since I last used it with both camera and iPhone hardware unchanged.

I deleted and reinstalled CameraConnect and it still didn't work. 

What did make it work was deleting Clearing All WI-FI Settings (Wi-Fi function, pres "Disp" tioget to General sett. and Clear Wi-Fi Settings) that deleted SET1 and then mating the camera with the iPhone again creating a new SET1.  That made CameraConnect work again.

I had the same issue today.  Used camera connect for a bunch of photos in June this year.  Today, it would connect to the camera wifi until I tried using camera connect.  Then the wifi connection would drop.  Cleared it all, deleted Set 1 and Set 2 (just to be sure) then reconnected the phone to the camera.  Works fine now.  I think this is the 3rd time I've had to do this over the past 4 or 5 years.

dan329
Contributor

The firmware update last year broke my 5D Mark IV's wifi functionality.   I've confirmed with Canon that they know the problem exists, as their tech support people were able to recreate the problem on their end.   They went from we're working on it back in September to we have no reason to work on it in January.   I have deleted, resetted, reinstalled, etc...  And when the problem is with a bad firmware update, it's not going to make a bit of difference.  Be aware, even thought they KNOW it's a problem on their end, they will still try to blame it on your set up , your wifi, your camera, your phone, etc...  It's been a very disappointing awakening that they have already abandoned their DSLR users.

So that others can be aware of this problem, please share with is what firmware version did you install that has this issue?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

EOS 5D Mark IV Firmware Update, Version 1.4.0 [macOS] 05.18.23

Announcements