cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D camera not conecting in Windows 10

ldwilliard
Apprentice

I'm posting this "Lesson Learned" in hopes of saving someone else some time if they have a similar issue.

When connecting my camera to my computer via USB, it originally was working fine but recently stopped being recognized by my Windows 10 computer.  When I looked at the Windows Device Manger, I could see the camera in the list (it was showing up as 'working properly' in the Properties) but it wasn't showing up in any software applications or File Manager. 

After several hours of debugging, here is what I found. I went to manually update the driver using these steps:

RIght click, select "Update Drivers", select "Browse my computer for drivers", select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer". When I did that, there were 2 drivers listed: "Canon Digital Camera" and "MTP USB Device".  I naturally selected the "Canon Digital Camera" but things still did not work.  I went back in and selected "MTP USB Device" and suddenly everything worked and all was right in the world.  So somewhere, windows or the EOS Utility downloaded another driver that didn't work for me.

Perhaps this selection is obvious to some but it was lost on me.  I found I had to do the same procedure on each USB port that I plugged into.

I hope this helps someone else in the future.

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you running an Intel chipset, or some other type?  AMD?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

MTP is Media Transfer Protocol.

Did you recently update your Windows 10? Are you in the EU by any chance?

Some non-US versions of Windows do not have the media player capabilities built in because of some sort of monopoly issue

Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 N (May 2019) (microsoft.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ldwilliard
Apprentice

My PC is an Intel chipset.  Windows did update since I last connected the camera.  The version is Windows 10 Home 2004, build 19041.746 with Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0.  And, I'm in the USA.

Announcements