cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot view jpg's in DPP 4

cdmazoff
Contributor

Hi.. This is recent.  I work in RAW export to TIFF, open them in photoshop CS5 and finish them as jpegs.  Up until last month (September 2018) when I opened any directory with CR2, TIFF and jpgs in DPP 4. 8. 30 ALL the files had usable thumbnails. I can still open jpegs I made in August 2018 in DPP but not newer ones.  I have not changed anything.

Now, the jpegs display as small thumbnails with a ? and "Unsupported Image"  and will not display in preview or open to edit in DPP..  

Can anyone explain this bug to me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Solved!  Someone on the retouching forum at DPR looked at my jpegs and noticed that the bad ones used progressive.. The good ones didn't... So, I resaved as baseline optimized and no problems.  I wonder how that switch happened!  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

If the JPEGs were created in DPP, then you apparently have a legitimate complaint about a bug in DPP. But as I read your workflow, those JPEGs would seem to have been created by Photoshop. If that's the case, your beef is probably with Adobe, not with Canon.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Bob.  I hear you.. But the thing is that all the jpegs made this way since May 2018 open in DPP ... except for the last month!!  Maybe it's a Windows  7 update thing.  When is DPP 5 due out?Smiley Happy

Solved!  Someone on the retouching forum at DPR looked at my jpegs and noticed that the bad ones used progressive.. The good ones didn't... So, I resaved as baseline optimized and no problems.  I wonder how that switch happened!  

@cdmazoff wrote:

Do the "progressive" image files violate the JPEG standard? If so, then Adobe has a problem. If not, then Canon has a problem. Or so it would seem.

If the question has no definitive answer, then is the problem a lack of precision in the JPEG standard?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements