cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open .FIR file for EOS R5 firmware update

mross41
Contributor

I am late updating the latest firmware which is 1.9.0 for my R5.

Have done all other firmware updates without issue.

This time I cannot open the .FIR file.

Is there someone out their that can help me?  I'm working in Windows 10.  I've updated my Windows and looked for software that might open this file type but I can't find any.  Assume it's a problem with my computer but what???  I have also installed Canon Utilities 3 hoping this might work to open it to no luck.

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mross41
Contributor

Not sure how to update my question but I'm happy to announce that I finally figured it out.  And like a lot of things sometimes when you are to close to a subject you cannot see the forest for the trees.  It took going to bed, after hours of trying to solve the problem, that the solution hit me.  You do not need to open that .FIR file.  You just slide it over onto the SD card and load it into the camera for the firmware to update.  Man but that answer was a long time coming tonight!  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You you mean you cannot extract or unpack the compressed file to generate the FIR file to copy to your camera SD card?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor, thanks for reaching out! 

Not sure how to update my question but I'm happy to announce that I finally figured it out.  And like a lot of things sometimes when you are too close to a subject you cannot see the forest for the trees.  It took going to bed, after hours of trying to solve the problem, that the solution hit me.  You do not need to open that .FIR file.  You just slide it over onto the SD card and load it into the camera for the firmware to update.  Man but that answer was a long time coming tonight!  But I really, really appreciate you responding!  

The best thing is to mark you explanation as the accepted solution.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for this info.  And that makes sense now.  Take care.

Cheers! You too!!

cheers, TREVOR

mross41
Contributor

Not sure how to update my question but I'm happy to announce that I finally figured it out.  And like a lot of things sometimes when you are to close to a subject you cannot see the forest for the trees.  It took going to bed, after hours of trying to solve the problem, that the solution hit me.  You do not need to open that .FIR file.  You just slide it over onto the SD card and load it into the camera for the firmware to update.  Man but that answer was a long time coming tonight!  

I tried to allude to that diplomatically in wording my question, given you indicated you had successfully done updates already.

cheers, TREVOR

Even I'm laughing at myself here.  In defense, it's been over a year since I've even picked up the camera due to a family illness.  So it goes without saying that I'm more than a little rusty but feel free to shake your head and laugh with me!  

click here to view the gallery
Announcements