cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Camera and Lens Firmware be Updated via DPP or EOS Utility?

Davoud
Enthusiast

Or must the firmware be downloaded to a storage card? Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

DPP is an editor.

You can use the EOS Utility

For FW Updates (EOS Utility) > Camera's FW yes.  Lens FW, no.

Neither is a complicated procedure, and both include easy to follow instructions.  

I do it manually.  Copying the FW to the SD card myself and performing the update. 

Everyone should have a card reader in their kit.  Its a helpful and efficient way to transfer images, video and FW to and from a camera's memory card.  SD Card readers are generally about $7~$13 dollars.  You can get them at Target, Amazon or Best Buy.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that while you can use the EOS Utility to upgrade camera firmware, you are less likely to have any problems copying the firmware file to your memory card and doing it in-camera. If your USB cable disconnects during a firmware update, using the utility, you could make your camera unusable, requiring repair. Take Rick's suggestion and use your memory card for firmware updates.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements