cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Suddenly stopped communicating with EOS Utility

jodywagstaff
Contributor

my two canon's, 70D and 5Dmkii, will not communicate any longer with EOS Utility

Windows 10 pro - 10.0.18363

Intel i5-9600

z390 UD - motherboard

24 gigs ram

-- Installed Eos utility and connected my 70D.  It connected immediatly and started the EOS Utility.  I then used camera control to open a live view window, which i then linked into OBS to capture the video.  About 10 minutes later, while using obs, the image froze on the camera.  Now my 70D and My 5Dmkii will not communicate with EOS Utility. The cameras immediatly connect with windows and can be seen in the navigation tree.  I can view images on the SD and CF cards but EOS utility says to connect a camera.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the EOS Utility app as welll as all other canon apps on this machine.

I have tried multiple cables, ports, and hubs.

I have disconnected all other usb devices.

I have tried eos 1, 2, and 3

Please if anyone can help with this, I would be very grateful.  My cameras are an integral part of my streaming set up and i am unable to proceed without them.

Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If this is a home brewed PC, running 3rd party software, you might be on your own.  If so, then I suggest that you try the cameras on a different PC, off the shelf and from a leading manufacturer.  Make sure it has an Intel chipset.  No AMDs

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have built the computer myself yes.  I'm unsure what you mean by 3rd party software.  I am running legit copies of the programs i am using.

The cameras work fine on my Macbook and EOS utilities.

the Camera worked on this machine for 10 minutes before suddenly stopping.

As you can see in my orginal post, I am running an Intel I5 chip, not an AMD.  However, where do you see that AMD does not work?  perhaps there is more info in that area about other device conflicts that could be causing this.

Thanks for the reply

@jodywagstaff wrote:

I have built the computer myself yes.  I'm unsure what you mean by 3rd party software.  I am running legit copies of the programs i am using.

The cameras work fine on my Macbook and EOS utilities.

the Camera worked on this machine for 10 minutes before suddenly stopping.

As you can see in my orginal post, I am running an Intel I5 chip, not an AMD.  However, where do you see that AMD does not work?  perhaps there is more info in that area about other device conflicts that could be causing this.

Thanks for the reply

What is so difficult to understand about OBS, Open Broadcaster Software,  being regarded as 3rd party software?  

The EOS Utility seems to work fine  on the IOS platform.  Try it on a Windows 10 platform using a PC from a major manufacturer, not on another home brewed machine.   

For the life of me, I do not understand why people do not understand why software has BOTH software and hardware prerequisites.  People tend to overlook the hardware requirements, or to simply ignore them.  

Off the shelf?  I'm very confused at your comment.  The components and build on my PC are top of the line, compatible, and built to spec. Everything is off the shelf.

You are very rude and not helpful.

Thank you for your time but I won't be using your help.

Also.. OBS has nothing to do with this problem.  I merely stated that i had used it, which i have for quite some time in the past with no issues. 

The problem is connecting my camera to the EOS Utility.  If you can not help with this than kindly keep your ignorant comments and sarcasm to yourself.

@jodywagstaff wrote:

You are very rude and not helpful.

Thank you for your time but I won't be using your help.

I merely laid the naked truth on the table.  Like I said from the start, your use case is NOT supported by Canon.  You are on your own.  The common phrase "off the shelf" means purchased from a store as a finished product.  

I do not work for Canon, nor I speak for Canon.  I am just another Canon user, who likes to help people who do not understand  a problem they have with their gear.  In this case, your gear problem is your home brewed PC.

Good luck!

thanks for the incredibly unhelpful replies.  Take care.

@jodywagstaff

Try using system restore and revert to a point in time where the software "worked" in your environment.

I have a (Gigabyte)  Z390 Aorus Pro, which is a higher end model of what you have.  Its a "Home Brewed" pieced togther desktop.  Intel i9, 32GB of G-Skill RGB Ram, Samsung m.2, EVGA RTX2080 FTW3....  and windows 10 Pro...  The EOS Utility works fine.  All my installed applications work.  I'm not using any open source software.

Your issue appears to be software related and has nothing to do with the hardware platform.  Why not buy something like Premiere? 

Or there are numerous (other) Broadcast quality applications (which yes, cost money) but you can receive support for. 

We understand your point.  All motherboards are pretty much built in Taiwan or Malaysia..  Regardless of whose name goes on them.  Intel, Gigabyte, Asus, EVGA, Foxconn...  are the biggest OEM suppliers. 

I think the problem in your case though is software choice. 

I have 11 or 12 machines in the house. Desktops, laptops..  (Apple, HP, Lenovo, Dell, Asus, Gigabte, etc)  My desktops are never prebuilt and always assembled by me. I am in full agreement about open source software not being 100% compatible, reliable, etc.  Its free.

Maybe look at something paid and you'll have better luck with compatibility. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements