cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Aperture RIP

offtheroad
Contributor

Now that Aperture is going to be discontinues what are the choice besides Adobe Lightroom for us.

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Here is some info:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53840280

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Since you have to change, I also recommend Lightroom, and you may want to look into Adobe's Photographer program.

It's a rental concept, which some people are opposed to, but for $10 a month you can get Photoshop and Lightroom.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I am a rank amateur, but have used both Aperture and Lightroom (now v5.6) in a MacOSX 10.6.8 to 10.9 environment.  Must say I started using Aperture first, however, when it became clear 2 years ago that Apple was not commited to maintaining the product I moved to Lightroom with some trepidation on the recommendation of a good friend.

Lightroom overall has been good for me.  I like the way it treats libraries and lets you leave the folder structure of your photos on your hard drive in the way you want.  It has been very stable which Aperture was not which was surprising.... YMMV.  Lots of features with a pretty decent user interface.

Lightroom can also be purchased standalone from Adobe (as of this writing) which is my preference.  The subscription model is good for Adobe shareholders not so much for mid-range users.

mark in seattle

You must remember Apple is not a photography based company.  They make computers.  Adobe on the other hand is a graphics based company.  So there should be little surprise LR would be the choice for 98% of all pro phtographers.  Use what the best uses!

I whole heartedly agree with you on the rental thing from Adobe.  I am sure the bean counters saw subscription as a money making scheme, not as an aid to photographers.  It isn't even a rent to own. As it never has a conclusion.  It stinks but it seeem successful for Adobe so there is little chance of changing it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Is there a reason that you don't want Lightroom?  It is the best there is.

But that is your choice because there is a program called Lightzone that is a LR open source like GimpShop.

But you must remember Gimp is not PS and Lightzone is not LR so don't expect the same performance from either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements