cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an external intervalometer w/90d electronic shutter

Ooben
Contributor

I have had my 90D for about a month now, and have been reading everything I can find about the electronic shutter. I know the built in intervalometer does not work with the e-shutter, however, my Aodelan external intervalometer does. So what I need to know is there any problem doing so? Over-heating the sensor? Causing the earth to tilt on it's axis? There must be some reason why Canon didn't enable that feature......

Thank you for your time,

Mike

13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your 90D has a mechanical shutter that is controlled by camera electronics. Whatever built-in camera shutter control mode will work - there is no E-Shutter. Your external intervalometer will not harm the camera, if it is designed to work with the 90D.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this what you are trying to do? It is a built-in function of the 90D camera. From the manual:

Screenshot 2023-09-11 183012.jpg

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate it!

On my 90D, when you go into live view, you have 3 shutter mode options...

1. Mechanical

2. Elec. 1st Curtain

3. Electronic

With all 3 shutter modes the built in intervalometer is greyed out, not an option. I'm assuming Canon did that for some reason or another.

I like the idea of taking a timelapse video without all the clunking and clanking that comes with using the mechanical shutter......but only if it doesn't harm my camera....

Mike

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the manual page 258 that I posted above, it states interval timer shooting is used in viewfinder shooting, so that appears to be the limitation.

Sorry about the misinformation on an electronic shutter. I read the camera specs and it stated that it has a mechanical focal-plane shutter.

Nothing to be sorry about Bob, I really do appreciate you trying to help me out.

I guess to condense things down a bit, will it hurt my 90D to use an external intervalometer using Live View with the electronic shutter mode?

Mike

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't think so. It would be just like using a remote control shutter switch in the remote jack. Does the remote control jack work in live view?

Yes it does, my Aodelan external remote/intervalometer works fine in Live View/electronic shutter mode. I am aware of not pointing the sensor toward direct sunlight....maybe Canon has concerns about during a long timelapse having the sun enter the frame in Live View/electronic shutter mode....I'm just guessing here....

Mike

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like you are good to go.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was wondering why you don't want to use the mechanical shutter. Other than noise, is there an advantage to using electronic shutter over mechanical for interval time shooting?

Announcements