cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Camera Skins on R5

Cytography
Contributor

I recently purchased a Canon R5.  I have seen Camera Skins (third party), such as the ALPHAGVRD skins.  These look really nice and, my thought is, these skins would provide some level of protection against minor scratches and nicks.  My concern is about what, if any, affect these skins might have on the cameras cooling (I don't shoot a lot of video (never 8k, but in general would these skins have any noticeable impact on the camera's cooling?  Would the use of these skins void the warranty?

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I've had skins on my last two DSLR's.  Absolutely loved them.  Made by EasyCover.  (Check B&H)

Used in the Montana Winters 35* and California Deserts 110*, with plenty of wet rainy trips to Europe in between.  

All of the R5's thermal "concerns" are at the processor and memory slots.  I would not worry about using a skin since the mem slots are not covered.  The processor is located inside under the LCD, also not covered, so I don't believe it would do anything except to provide some additional protection (as you said).  In that regard, these covers cannot be beat.  I'd have one on my R5 C if they made one.

Others might have different opinions.  I am merely conveying my experience which has been 100% positive.  Both of mine fit great and offered great protection.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the feedback.  On another forum a "professional" warned against using skins because some Sony engineer told him that they cause thermal issues and would void the warranty if used (I actually checked with Sony and was told that was not true - using skins would not void the warrant unless the skins themselves caused some sort of physical damage).  I'm not overly concerned but thought it worth asking the Canon community.  As for having on one your R5c if they made one, just an FYI, www.alphagvrd.com does make the skins for the R5c.

Interested in hearing other's opinions. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Just checked out the alpha site. I shouldn't have used the word skin.  My solution was a silicone cover.  Relatively easy on off.  Nothing sticky, bubbly or that might come loose.   

Check out easycover and you'll see what I'm referring to.  This is my "case" or "skin" of preference.  No mess, no application.   The easycovers are super easy to install or remove and there is nothing to align or squeegee around.  For me, way more durable, less expensive, etc.  Sorry if I misled you. 

shadowsports_2-1673987901757.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

No worries.  I had one of those like the one you posted on a previous camera and didn't like it, but that's just me.

Cytography
Contributor

Couple of things about these AlphaGvrd skins now that I've had them on for a while.  First, they do take some patience to apply, but if done right, they look good (in my opinion).  So far I've not had any issues with excessive heat, but to be fair I haven't shot any video above 4k 60. 

As for "sticky" that's the amazing thing - you can peel the skins off and it eaves NO residue.  

IMG_2074.jpeg

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Wow.  She looks like a full makeover.  😃

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements