cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates for PZ-E1 power zoom and EOS R6 Mark II

clicknz
Contributor

Hi - I've used the PZ E1 attached to the EFs 18 - 135 lens with earlier 80D, 6D, R & R6 camera bodies, but it doesn't seem to work with the R6 Mk 2 body. Has anyone had luck with this combination?

I suspect the body may need a firmware update to recognise the attachment, it would also be good if the Canon Connect app could be updated so zooming could be done wirelessly via the app.

Cheers,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

clicknz
Contributor

Hi all - I was WRONG - the zoom adapter does work with the R6 Mk 2 body - my apologies.

I decided to test a couple more things today and realise that I probably put the lens and adapter onto the body with the unit already switched on. It seems to require both the unit and the camera to be switched off, then turn camera on, then turn on power zoom unit. 

The camera connect app doesn't seem to allow remote zooming, but that's a minor inconvenience.

Thanks (and apologies) to everyone who contributed to this thread. Cheers.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

I haven't heard of a power zoom lens from Canon. Is this a 3rd party item.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Hi - the item (PZ E1) is a fairly small box-like motor made by Canon that attaches to one particular Canon EFs lens via a clamp and then has a cog wheel to drive the zoom. It is great for video work and allows smooth zooming at a range of speeds. I think it might be discontinued now, which would be a shame, as with the new bodies accepting EFs lenses via the adapter, it’s still relevant. Canon, are you listening?

Does manually zooming work and manual focus override work with this accessory removed from the lens.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Yes, indeed - the lens is a standard ‘kit lens’ that I think is still available. It does get confusing as I think there are 3 models of 18-135 zoom lenses. This one has a ‘nano USM’ focussing motor and the special notches & electronic contacts fir the PZ unit. You can also manually zoom with the adapter attached but switched off… but I’m not too sure if this is a lens that allows manual focus over ride when in auto focus mode…?

You're lens allows manual focus override while set to AF. In order to use manual focus override. You need to half press the shutter button and turn the focus ring. This lens is focus by wire. It uses similar tech to STM lenses. Early Ring Type USM lenses are also focus by wire too. But most of which were discontinued and replaced by newer lenses. That use a mechanical clutch system to override the AF motor. The EF 85mm F/1.2L II USM lens was the last Ring Type USM lens released with focus by wire. Note ALL RF Mount lenses are focus by wire regardless of it being a USM or STM lens.

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I suspect you are the only one who bought it, clicknz.

For those who don't remember:

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/18-135mm-usm.htm 

Sorry, clicknz, I really doubt that Canon will make the pz-e1 work with any of the R's. But you can scroll down to the bottom of the Canon homepage and make a suggestion.

Haha - yes, I suspect that there weren’t too many of these sold (maybe just the one, to me in New Zealand!!). As mentioned this combo does work very well with  my R6 (& the R before it), but doesn’t seem to be recognised on the R6 Mk 2. 
Thanks - I will make a suggestion to Canon, I couldn’t find where to do that. Cheers

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The Canon PZ-E1 is designed ONLY for the EF-S 18-135mm USM. No other lens so far has the connection. The lens operates perfectly normally in every respect without it attached. 

66C3CF02-294C-4228-BDED-7ADF94F11AEB.jpeg
59A874B4-B645-4D94-88ED-2FA99A4AA767.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

Yes, that’s the item and lens in question - thanks for searching that out.

This really is a great combo when shooting video (Sony have a few ‘power zoom’ lenses available)… maybe there are some in the Canon pipeline?? Cheers

Announcements