cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite EL-1 Transmitter Recommendations

Andreacamarenap
Contributor

Hello I have a Canon EL-1 and a camera R5, I would like to know how to use the EL-1 off camera, what transmitter should I buy? I have heard most of the transmitters are not compatible with the EL-1. Also do I need to buy a receiver too? I just want to use my speed lite of camera that is it. 

I have search for a lot os info for transmitters compatible with EL-1 and have not found anything.... 

thank you 

9 REPLIES 9

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Look into the Canon ST-E3-RT Transmitter. The ST-E10 is incompatible with your camera.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

thank you so much for the advice you have no idea how much I appreciate this! 

do I need to buy a receiver for the flash to? or just the transmitter?

thank you thank you thank you

You only need the transmitter. The speedlite has a receiver built that communicates with the transmitter mounted in the hot shoe. The off camera slave or receiver speedlite needs to be set to wireless radio communication. Then the speedlite needs to be set to receiver. This will allow the speedlite to communicate with the transmitter. The transmitter will be setup through the speedlite control menu via the camera's menu screen.

-Demetrius
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM

also does version 2 of the ST-E3-RT will work? 

Yes it does, they function identically.

-Demetrius

also do you have any recommendation for medio/small softbox for this speedlite? I specialize on wedding so i do not what something super big. 

do you know what can i buy to put my speedlite in a tripod? like what accesories?
*i inserted a picture as an example, thank you! https://pasteboard.co/kptssWgup4p9.png 

Now I can't help with that. But I can ping some other forum members. If you didn't know you can use another radio controlled speedlite such as the EL-1 in the hot shoe to trigger the off camera one. The speedlite in the hot shoe would be called a "Sender" speedlite. Allowing you to have better lighting.

-Demetrius

thank you I would really appreciate if you could pin other, i would love to use another flash but I only have one for the moment. Thank you anyway for the information 😄 you are so kind

I personally use mostly Westcott gear.  I have a ton of their modifiers to include their Medium Apollo Softbox (28 x 28 in) (looks like no longer sold), numerous strip soft boxes, small umbrellas, medium deep umbrellas and even their 7-foot umbrellas (the latter though require multiple speedlites to properly fill).

I've never shot a wedding, but I do like what Canon Explorer of light Bob Davis does.  He typically doesn't use any modifiers and sets up three speedlights at the venue in corners on stands so as out of the way as possible.  Uses higher ISO as well to keep flash output to 1/16 power or lower.

For mounting tripods to stands, I have two sets:

• Westcott Adjustable Shoe Mount Umbrella Bracket (MFR #5015).  I add a bit of gaffer tape to it just to ensure that I'll never short out flash contacts.   These work with various Westcott umbrellas (not 7' though) and their soft boxes.
  • Combination of Phottix HS Speed Mount II along with a Phottix Varos Pro M Multi-Function Flash Shoe Umbrella Holder.  This gives me a Bowens-mount compatible rig for a single speedlite.  I can then use a Westcott Beauty Dish with Bowens mount along with Phottix snoots and 7 inch reflectors.

Since the modifiers and a single speedlite is light enough, I use Manfrotto 7.7' stands (MFR# MA1052BAC).

But for the large 7' umbrellas, I use a C-stand along with a special rig from Foursquare that allows one to mount four speedlights onto it.  I then aim the heads to spread the light as evenly as possible within that large modifier.

Few final notes on modifiers with speedlights:

• You'll typically need radio control vs optical control since the speelight may now be hidden within a modifier.  Recent wireless issues with Canon speedlites (we're theorizing it has to do with more modern cellular and other networks now being more prevalent) can wreck havoc with radio control.
  • Small modifiers do work very well will single speedlites.
  • Medium modifiers (even say 24 x 24 inch and larger) often suffer from hotspots, so you don't get the most even light being sent out from the entire surface of the modifier.  Some have diffusion panels or you can bounce the light off the back of the modifier, but this results in light loss so you'd need to increase flash power.
--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements