cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy External Microphone with EOS 90D

slash75
Apprentice

I have a external microphone that I want to use with the Canon 90d for video. I have plugged this into the mic input but it seems noisy when shooting in Auto mode. Is there a setting that needs to be changed for this to work?

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Please let us know the exact brand and model of microphone that you're plugging in and using for sound in your videos.

Can you please describe the "noise".  Is there a hum, hiss, crackling, etc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

It is a Canon DM-E100 mic. It is more of a hiss. Can the levels be adjusted in Auto mode?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The levels cannot be adjusted in Auto mode, you have to use manual to adjust the mics gain.  What you want is for the audio to register on the meter in the upper range (-10-12 dB), and not have the recording level hit "0" when the audio is at its loudest.  Close is fine, but if it pegs at zero, clipping or distortion might occur.  Try manual mode and see what happens. 

shadowsports_0-1695217032014.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I will try this in manual mode instead. Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the custom functions menu C.Fn III.5 Audio compression, try setting it to disable and see if that helps.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements