cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at the R5 + the Sigma 60-600mm f/4.5-6.3 (Sports) - which adaptor is best?

jesslaurel
Apprentice

I'm purchasing the R5 for action photography, I'm also looking at the Sigma 60-600mm f/4.5-6.3 (Sports) but I would need an EF to RF adaptor.  Suggestions on which adaptor would be best?

4 REPLIES 4

March411
Rising Star

Welcome to the site jesslaurel!

I run that same setup for wildlife. I tested several 3rd party and the Canon adapter, the 3rd party adapters simply didn't perform well at all. I have three Sigma lens and the challenge with focus was consistent, the lens racked and took to much time to gain subject focus. That being said the Canon's worked almost perfectly, I ended up with the Mount Adapter EF-EOS R and not the Control Ring adapter.

On the 60-600mm the control ring was unusable as it sat to close to the camera body. With the lens extended it's a tough balancing act with the weight of the lens and using the control ring on the adapter, I saved $60 and bought the simple version.

The only other thing I would mention, if you have a dock make sure the firmware is up to date on the 60-600mm. I had to update mine to get smooth autofocus, I did have some challenges and the Sigma support team indicated it was due to outdated firmware. Once updated, pretty flawless.   

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Personal Web Gallery

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The Sigma 60-600mm is a great DSLR lens. I would not recommend purchasing one for use with the R5. Definitely go with one of the Canon L series super telephoto lenses. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I would agree with Waddizzle, if the budget is available the RF 100-500mm is an outstanding lens ($2700 US) and if you can find one the 200-800mm has been discussed positively on many forums. Both lenses weigh considerably less then the Sigma. I've shot both of the less expensive fixed 600mm and 800mm and preferred the Sigma, the aperture @ 600mm (f6.3) was better then both of the fixed Canon lenses @ F11. If you are sold on the Sigma 60-600mm I can confidently say that it takes some beautiful images. This one was on my R6 MII, smaller sensor then the R5 but a decent image. Battery life driving the motors of the Sigma had a slight drop off over the RF 100-500, two batteries would normally be sufficient for a full day of shooting. Again the Sigma is a little faster then the Canon @ f7.1 at 500mm.

And as EB has noted the 150-600mm is an option and weight wise easier to carry than the 60-600mm. The Sport which is weather sealed goes for $1500 US so you can save a couple bucks.

redwing.jpg   

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Personal Web Gallery

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I would not recommend purchasing one for use with the R5."

I can't personally recommend it either since I haven't tried it. I try to not recommend or endorse stuff I personally don't do or haven't done. However, I see no reason why it would not perform as well or better than it does on a DSLR. I had the opportunity to get one of the newer 60-600mm Sport lenses but prefered to stay with my beloved 150-600mm Sport. In my photography life, I was fortunate enough to be in a position to have and/or use many many lenses. Hundreds! I still own around two dozen. But there are four lenses that I consider to be among the best lenses ever made. The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens is one of those four lenses.

Keep in mind no one buys a 60-600mm zoom or even a 150-600mm lens to use the short end. The fact it is present may be a nice ad promotion but I suspect you will find you are at the longer end most of the time. 3 to one zoom vs 10 to one zoom to me that choice wasn't difficult.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements