cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LP-E6NH Batteries not holding charge

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I have several sets of Genuine Canon LP-E6NH batteries and, after very little use, the potential for charging has dropped by one and even two bars.  Older batteries do not have this issue - it is apparent on my R5 and two R6 units, so I don't think it's the camera.  These batteries are about a year old, but have been used only a couple of times.

If you have any ideas on this I would be appreciative.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
12 REPLIES 12

I hope so too Rick.  I continue to see deterioration in the LP-E6NH batteries in the batch that I bought from an authorized dealer. Ironically, some 4rd party ones are performing much better and are about 1/6 the price...

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I absolutely despise the entire LP-E6N/NH family of Canon batteries.  I have been using Canon pro level DSLR bodies since 2003 and although I have gone through a few batteries in my 1 series cameras I always got very reliable service along with very long life.  I picked up 5DS and 5DS-R bodies a few years ago and they see very little use compared to my 1DX series bodies but I have replaced 2 useless LP-E6N (won't start a charge) and 1 LP-E6NH at my cost and another was replaced by Adorama after it died 2 weeks from delivery while sitting out of the camera after its first use.  It was around 75% charge when it came out of the camera but had the typical fast flashing error light that could not be resolved in the Canon charger that is far too common.  And no, the Canon service bulletin about attempting multiple restarts does no good.  For curiosity, I used my voltage regulated and current limited bench supply to bring a LP-E6NH back to life for a charge and it worked but I wouldn't trust it to last.  These batteries always get a recharge quickly as soon as they drop through half charge camera indication, something I have never needed to worry about with my 1 series bodies which often go down to 1 bar before charging.

During this same time period, only 1 replacement LP-E19 was needed between my three hard working 1DX III and II bodies and it was still working fine but had dropped to about 1,200 from the typical 2,500+ captures between charges performance.

My 1 series will get nothing but genuine Canon LP-E19 packs but I won't be wasting any more money on Canon branded LP-E6NH packs.  I have only owned two disappointing Canon products out of many, one was a 90s era camcorder that came with highly unreliable "printed circuit" ribbon interconnects and these battery packs are the other although I am fully satisfied the 5DS and 5DS R bodies.  And so far, the two LP-E17 packs used in "baby cam" (as I named my tiny M6 Mark II) have performed well with decent life between charges and no issues thus far.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hope I'm not sitting on a timebomb.  The LP-E6NH batteries were not available in June when my R5 C was finally delivered.  I'm using it now with 1 OEM and 2 Watson's.  I had 2 E6NH's on back order which got delivered mid Sept.  I haven't cracked them open yet.  I have almost 5 years of tenure with Watson batteries now (6D2) and only one is now finally starting to show signs of its age. 

I used the trio of E6NH's (Canon/Watson) for th last 10 days in Europe.  Took lots of pictures.  Still getting used to MILC.  The EVF is beautiful, but chews batt life.  I got nearly a full day of shooting from one battery in (photo mode).  CINE mode absolutely destroys E6NH's regardless of brand.  I knew this though.  PD took care of that and I also helped a few family members charge their cellphones.  😁     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements