cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LP-E6NH Batteries not holding charge

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I have several sets of Genuine Canon LP-E6NH batteries and, after very little use, the potential for charging has dropped by one and even two bars.  Older batteries do not have this issue - it is apparent on my R5 and two R6 units, so I don't think it's the camera.  These batteries are about a year old, but have been used only a couple of times.

If you have any ideas on this I would be appreciative.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
12 REPLIES 12

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

I know very little about batteries, but I have read that recent batteries may improve with more charge/discharge cycles while older batteries would deteriorate. I do not know that this is true. Some battery chargers claim to "recondition" batteries to improve their performance.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

That goes for NiMH batteries. For example the old 1Ds.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have been running into the same issue.  I have had camera batteries lose a LOT of charge just sitting in a camera bag for a month of no use.  I only get out on the weekends when the weather is good.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Considering these batteries come at a premium price - in NZ, they are up to $265 each for a genuine one, then I don't expect them to lose 2 of 3 recharge performance bars in a few months - especially used only about 3 times.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Most Li-ion batteries works best when charge is between 20-80% full, however, most folks will top off the battery, which strains the battery, and don't fully cycle through the battery and always topping off (i do this too).  All li-ion battery health will degrade over time and how you use/store the battery makes a big difference.

To maintain the health of any li-ion battery (i don't do any of this so i suffer the consequences)

1) remove the battery from camera (there will always be a vampire draw, especially on R5/6 to power top lcd which isn't good for batter health)

2) use the battery between 20-80% full

3) long term store the  battery at 70-80% full.

4) charge before battery gets below 20%

I don't do any of the above and all my iphones will degrade to less than 90% battery health in just 1 year.  My camera batteries fare no better with minimal use.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

I think your  30-80 rule is great advice and I know enough to have been doing exactly that myself - I also run my EV on that principle. Yet the Canon batteries I refer to have dropped to 60% charge capacity in only a few months.  I also have been using some some of the LP-E6N batteries and they have been behaving much better, but the best of all in terms of holding charge are the LP-E6 batteries.  From that, I suspect that the more energy density is crammed into a battery, the faster it degrades.  I have just got some Kingma LP-E6NH compatible batteries to try against the original, and so far they are holding their capacity much better and are about 1/5 the price.

cheers, TREVOR

Your battery degradation is very odd, even my older LP-E6N only lost 1 bar after 1 year.  My 16 month old LP-E6NH (very little use) still had 3/3 bars.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

Looking at the dates stamped on the batteries, they are all marked within a very shot time period.  Perhaps a flaw in a batch - I don't know, but I'm not impressed.

cheers, TREVOR

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I just ordered 2 more today.  Hope they dont exhibit this behavior.

LP-E6NH OEM Battery Availability - Canon Community

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements