cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 70 often caused by Canon RF to EF Adapter

Insight32
Contributor

Ever since owning the EOS R5 I have had consistent error 70 freeze-ups while shooting timelapses.  I didn't own any RF lenses, but was using Canon and other 3rd party brand lenses with Canon's RF to EF adapter ($99).    Regardless of which lens I shot with (Canon EF 50mm F/1.4, Sigma 20mm F/1.8, Rokinon 14mm AF F/2.8, Sigma 150-600mm) the camera would eventually give me the ERR 70 message at some point during my timelapses.  Sometimes it happened after 160 frames, sometimes after 230, but almost always before I got reach 300 frames.    I was able to figure out that it ONLY happens when my lens was stopped down to any aperture other than wide open.  If I shot at the widest aperture I would never get the error.

Canon twice replaced the Main PCB assembly, but each time the error still occurred.  So after getting nowhere with their support department I decided to prove my theory.

I went out and purchased a Canon RF 24-105mm F/4-7.1 lens and also the RF version of the Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 AF lens.   When shooting with either of these native RF lenses I have yet to get the ERR 70 even with 1000+ frame timelapses.    Yet, when I go back to their adapter and connect one of my "EF-Mount" lenses I get the error.

After all the testing I have done with different memory cards, different Canon batteries, and different lenses. I can now say with 100% confidence that the EF adapter is causing many of the ERR 70 issues.  

I will be letting Canon know, but I have no idea how they plan to correct it - if they plan to at all.

Ron

29 REPLIES 29

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Have you considered trying a different EF-RF adapter?  There are electronics in there and there could be an issue there...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Yea. I purchased a second adapter two weeks ago and the same issue existed, thus ruling out a bad adapter. 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I wondered about that, but had to ask. 🤔

I have the R5 and R6 and have used both with the adapters using the same Sigma lens with no issues.  What version of adapters are you using?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I have no idea which version, unless you’re asking about the model.  This is the basic $99 adapter that Canon sells.  The issue wouldn’t appear to many people who are taking one-off photos.   Since I shoot timelpase professionally I tend to shoot 200-500 images each time is usually with a 1 or 2 second interval.   And the error doesn’t appear right away, but always appears somewhere between 170-300 shots.   It also never appears when shooting wide open. 

I was wondering what version of the adapter you were using.  As you say, there is the basic model, but you might have been using the one with the focus ring or the drop-in ND filter (for example).   The more information the merrier...

cheers, TREVOR

laurenwessel
Apprentice

Hey-- I have the same issue when using the EF to RF adapter with my Tamron lenses (my adapter is the one with the control ring). Did you ever hear anything from Canon on what the fix might be for this issue?

what fixed the issue for me was to use RF native lenses.  Shooting time lapse was a gamble using EF (Canon and 3rd party) lenses and the Canon adapter.

In response to: what fixed the issue for me was to use RF native lenses.  Shooting time lapse was a gamble using EF (Canon and 3rd party) lenses and the Canon adapter.

The issue of lens compatibility is a vexed one.   The painful fact is that pretty well all makers make no guarantee with regard to using legacy or third-party lenses for reasons I have beaten to death in other posts.  I suspect that someone in Canon has shrugged and said something like "they should buy RF glass": but of course they won't say that in public - that's for wicked, rude people like me to have to deal with apparently...

I suspect that your situation is so very specific that Canon have parked it in the pending pile, but it's disappointing that you did not get a response that it was too specific or whatever - still, I am not privy to a the other exchanges between you and Canon.

So, just to be clear - now that you are using native RF lenses the issue has ceased to occur?  If so, I hope you can get back to your work without further disruption.  I would love to see some of the results of your labours - do you post them on line?

cheers, TREVOR

Hi Trevor,

The issue shows up frequently with timelapse, but since there are a LOT of R5 users that do get random ERR 70 errors (Just google search "canon EOS R5 ERR 70") I would think Canon would want to get to the bottom of it.   

I have never received the ERR 70 when using an RF Lens, yet I have read where others have.  I can also use manual lenses without issue, so I find it interesting that it's the aperture that causes the issue.   I can use an EF lens + the adapter and as long as I shoot wide open I can shoot and shoot and shoot without ERR 70's.    If Canon paid attention to the work I did to troubleshoot and find the issue they would be a lot closer to updating the firmware to fix this issue or at least offer a warranty fix if it's hardware related.  It's surely a waste of time and money for Canon to replace the Main PCB for everyone that has this issue- when that is clearly not the fix.

You can view my work on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/risman
I have been teaching advanced night-sky and motion control timelapse for 10 years. My workshops can be found at TimelapseWorkshops.com

Thanks,

Ron

Announcements