cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 BR-E1 remote questions

anniebannanie
Contributor

I recently paired a BR-E1 remote to my Canon R6 with Bluetooth. It seems the live view on the back of the camera does not activate when paired? I cannot get out of the Info screen. How does one choose where to focus or able to view the scene if it won't go live? Will the eye/face detection be active for focusing?
I cannot find information in any manual or instructions and chat is of no help.
Thank you,

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The BR-E1 is nothing more than a wireless remote shutter button.  It allows you to fire the shutter or Start/Stop video recording.  That is all that it does.  Nothing more.

The EOS Utility 3 allows you see the scene and control the camera remotely, including selecting where you want the camera to focus.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you. I realize it is a simple remote to fire the shutter and focus. What I am wondering is if it is possible to still see the live view as well.
I have tried tirelessly to connect my R6 to my Eos Utility app on my phone but have had no luck. Also, I don't want to use my phone as a remote when doing self portraits as it is too large and bulky and I don't want to work in a self timer mode

@anniebannanie wrote:

Thank you. I realize it is a simple remote to fire the shutter and focus. What I am wondering is if it is possible to still see the live view as well.
I have tried tirelessly to connect my R6 to my Eos Utility app on my phone but have had no luck. Also, I don't want to use my phone as a remote when doing self portraits as it is too large and bulky and I don't want to work in a self timer mode

Wrong.  It does not select AF points. It only fires the shutter.  It will only focus at the currently selected AF point.

If you are using a remote shutter, what need is there to be able to see a Live View?  You would not be close enough to the camera to see a Live View.

One needs to stand next to the camera and set up the shot by using the buttons on the camera.  Once done, you can stand back remotely fire the shutter.

Thank you again for your reply.

There are many times when I will have a need to see the back of the screen for live view when using the remote. Like if I am working with clients and prefer not to be glued to the back of my camera. Sometimes I like to step aside and interact with them more. I would like the option of being able to see the screen and select AF points and view set up. 
While doing self portraits, I need to do the same. View scene and select AF point. It is cumbersome doing so in viewfinder... I was hoping I could see on the back of the camera... that's all. I know that I have to manually set my settings... I am not new to photography... only to this remote.
All I needed to know was if it was possible and how. 

@anniebannanie wrote:

Thank you again for your reply.

There are many times when I will have a need to see the back of the screen for live view when using the remote. Like if I am working with clients and prefer not to be glued to the back of my camera. Sometimes I like to step aside and interact with them more. I would like the option of being able to see the screen and select AF points and view set up. 
While doing self portraits, I need to do the same. View scene and select AF point. It is cumbersome doing so in viewfinder... I was hoping I could see on the back of the camera... that's all. I know that I have to manually set my settings... I am not new to photography... only to this remote.
All I needed to know was if it was possible and how. 

I understand your use case. I think the Canon Camera Connect app will do what you want using a cellphone. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you!
I was hoping to find a smaller remote such as this as to not have to use a bulky phone for self portraits although I love the app.

Obviously, the BR-E1 does not have a display, so you cannot remotely control or view the display using it.

The EOS Utility 3 has an optional Remote Shooting feature which requires the use of a computer with a display screeen.

Obviously.

I have EOS Utility on my laptop. That was not the original question posted. I appreciate your time.

Announcements