cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon LP-E6N USB charging

Mkiv
Contributor

Hello,

I have several Canon branded batteries for my 5D Mkiv. I travel a fair bit and would like to charge my batts from a USB from my MacBook Pro or a small external power bank instead of AC. Can anyone suggest a small, aftermarket LP-E6N charger with USB(doesn’t matter USB type)so that I don’t need the stock Canon charger?

TIA

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You can check B&H for this.  I saw a handful that can charge from USB.  My preference, I would suggest using a power bank over your laptop.  The power output of a laptop USB port is typically 500Ma.  I've seen instances where a port can become damaged after repeated hi-current/hi-draw use.  The result is a motherboard replacement.

You can also use a high quality v-mount battery with USB output to charge, or in conjunction with a p-tap or other to power a dummy battery in the camera directly.  This would allow hours of runtime without needing to stop and charge.            

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Rick is spot on with the advice to use a power bank or external USB power adapter rather than you laptop port.  Not only is the current demand high, that is made greater because the charger has to also step up the 5 volts from the USB source to the ~8 volts used during much of the charge cycle for this 7.2 volt nominal battery.  This means the current draw at the 5 volt source will be significantly higher than the current delivered to the battery under charge.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You can check B&H for this.  I saw a handful that can charge from USB.  My preference, I would suggest using a power bank over your laptop.  The power output of a laptop USB port is typically 500Ma.  I've seen instances where a port can become damaged after repeated hi-current/hi-draw use.  The result is a motherboard replacement.

You can also use a high quality v-mount battery with USB output to charge, or in conjunction with a p-tap or other to power a dummy battery in the camera directly.  This would allow hours of runtime without needing to stop and charge.            

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Rick is spot on with the advice to use a power bank or external USB power adapter rather than you laptop port.  Not only is the current demand high, that is made greater because the charger has to also step up the 5 volts from the USB source to the ~8 volts used during much of the charge cycle for this 7.2 volt nominal battery.  This means the current draw at the 5 volt source will be significantly higher than the current delivered to the battery under charge.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements